Game design rules - add more please

Started by
6 comments, last by Codman 20 years, 3 months ago
Design familiar. The player should easily recognize the functionality of an item or map location. Show current goals. Every moment the player should know what he has to do. Talk less, more action. Give the player action, make him to permanently take decisions. Let player to experiment more. Give him a wide array of decisions to choose from. Choice/reward. Every action should have a reward. Don’t lose player attention. The big goals should be rewarded with an outstranding cut-scene/ item/ ability. Create a “vocabulary” by using the same type of reward for a certain type of goal. The time between succesive goals should be short enough to prevent the player to lose his attention (“what will I get next?”) and long enought to let him feel and play the game and get immersed. Create a game vocabulary (like Reavers in Soul Reaver) and a game logic / “lait motiv” (have the same item that should be activated in order to open doors). Add more rules using the same sintax. [Main idea in maximum 5 words] [A small explanation, best with examples]. Have a good day, Cod. ----------------------------- Codman - "The source for all things" "We design for eternity" Mail: Codman_Wu@personal.ro
-----------------------------How to create atmosphere? Bring in EMOTIONS!
Advertisement
The 400 Project
Oluseyi, it''s been a long time i didn''t see you around,glad to read your post again
"...and we all know what "undefined" means: it means it works during development, it works during testing, and it blows up in your most important customers' faces."----------Scott Meyers, "Effective C++"
quote:Original post by remi
Oluseyi, it''s been a long time i didn''t see you around, glad to read your post again
Thanks.

I had a trying last semester, and had lost a lot of the incentive to engage in productive computer work (most of my posts from October to December were in the Lounge, which should give you an idea just how bad it was...) I switched majors from CS to Cinema and Cultural Studies, and now I have that zest for programming, design and art again, so you''ll be seeing more of me around here.

Wavinator''s also back!
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
The 400 Project

I have been trying to find something like thise for a looooong time.. usually found a page or two that talked about 4-10 things you should do about design..
quote:Original post by Coz
I have been trying to find something like thise for a looooong time.. usually found a page or two that talked about 4-10 things you should do about design..
Yes, yes, I rock.
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
The 400 Project

Hey, there''s a cool job, Game Design Philosopher cause there will probably be quite a few arguments once those one-liners are fleshed out.
The 400 is written by Noah Falstein, each of the rules listed are contained in a monthly article he does for Game Developer Magazine...

Any who do not get the magazine, should try for the free subscription...its a great read.

Jameson

Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Jameson DurallGame DesignerOddworld InhabitantsNoone can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement