Too much writing

Started by
11 comments, last by tgraupmann 20 years, 3 months ago
Do you ever find yourself in a writing forum and start looking at the posts, but just see way too much writing to even start reading them....?
*News tagenigma.com is my new domain.
Advertisement
Yeah, they should put a limit on post size - like 5 words max or something.
some times. But this is a writing forum. So you should expect writing which means some what long posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

No.... Writing should be done to what ever extent it needs to be done, in order to convey the idea. If things seem to long to read, don''t read it. Like this post for example, I could sit here and ramble on and on to attempt to make some vaque point, but it really doesn''t matter. This is a writing thread, so if you don''t like to read, you probably don''t like to write, as the two go hand and hand. To simply eliminate reading others work because it seems to long is a cop out, and I feel, limits ,whoever is doing so, as writer. Ah, so once again, no.

;P
Who was the author that tried to convey an entire point with a single word, or as few words as possible. That''s the style I like. Nice and compact.
Well, a writing forum does indeed imply a lot of writing, and therefore sentences its viewers to a lot of reading, but I agree that many of the posts here are more taxing than they need to be. Half-formed thoughts, lousy grammar, and just plain bad ideas make some submissions a torturous read. But if you hate that, then skip them.

As far as I''m concerned, most of the stuff posted here has at least some merit, and I''ve gained a little from everything I''ve read.

That said, if those same things were posted with better spelling, grammar, punctuation, and organization, I''d have had less trouble gleaning the good bits. For God''s sake, at least use paragraphs, people!
It bothers me more when people goto the trouble of writing something looking for feedback and people don''t take the time read or comment on it.

There, I disagree with you. This is a game writing forum, not a peer-review board. Not to make it personal, but there was a thread recently that contained a brief, unorganized rough draft that the author admitted had taken very little effort to produce. No intention for it was declared, no project was associated with it. It was the literary equivalent of a doodle in someone''s class notes, and it was submitted to this board for comments and critique. Nobody should feel obliged to give that person feedback. Many, including myself, did, but had we not, that author would have no right to feel slighted. Producing two hundred words that sound like they might be from the beginning of an okay story does not entitle you to anything.
Doing QA you can produce a novel just writing test cases, where a feature change could nuke 35 pages easily. It is best to desensitize yourself, because words are just words, not drops of blood.
QA? What?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement