Law Enforcement in Games

Started by
16 comments, last by sigmaent 20 years, 3 months ago
Hello people! I have been thinking about this for quite a while now. I was wondering if anyone is designing a game in where the player can be a police officer doing traffic stops, raids, tailing suspects and so on. I mean if you can do games like Grand Theft Auto 3 and other games where the player can move freely. I don''t think there has been a good real police game for quite sometime, ok the Police Quest 1-4 series were great, but I was not really thinking in terms of an adventure game, more like an everyday police game. What do you think? Would we be able to see such games on the market soon? Thanks for your thoughts! ------ Uziana.com - Your source for alternative gaming! http://www.uziana.com
Advertisement
Sounds interesting. I''m really not sure exactly what you would do though. Would you have a city with randomly generated events (not all response calls are crimes; after all the police have to go to accident and rescue scenes too)? There''d be other cops too, I''m sure. You''d have a record and a reputation as well? Shoot too many bad guys and they start an investigation on you. Let too many go and you get fired.

Definitely has potential. Doing it dynamically would be kind of tricky, but shouldn''t be impossible. You''d basically have scripts for the events with some randomly altertable parameters. Top-down 3D view like in GTA 2, or full 3D?
Time to start watching NYPD Blue, Third Watch and Law & Order (all three variants - the original, Criminal Intent and Special Victims Unit). Should give you a ton of scenario ideas.
quote:Time to start watching NYPD Blue, Third Watch and Law & Order (all three variants - the original, Criminal Intent and Special Victims Unit). Should give you a ton of scenario ideas.

yes, but having some police officer friends, they will tell you that 90% of the job is deskwork, and that police tv shows overglamourize the job too much. So being a police officer in a game with a semblance of realism would be entirely boring, not like if you were playing a mercenary or drug dealer, where your life really is in danger most of the time.
quote:Original post by tri-thanatos
yes, but having some police officer friends, they will tell you that 90% of the job is deskwork, and that police tv shows overglamourize the job too much. So being a police officer in a game with a semblance of realism would be entirely boring, not like if you were playing a mercenary or drug dealer, where your life really is in danger most of the time.

See, but that''s where you would borrow from the tv shows and overglamorize it a bit. Everyone knows that the tv shows aren''t 100% true to life (well, there are some delusionals out there I''m sure).

I think a game done up just like GTA:VC would be grand ... there would be scripted missions where you''d be driving in your car and you''d get a call to go do such and such. You could pass by the precinct and pick up some missions. Or simply driving around, you could see a crime in progress, see a traffic violation, bust some gang bangers. If done correctly, it would be a truly kick ass game.

Joel Martinez
http://www.codecube.net/
Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]
Yeah the problem that I have with GTA is that the game is great fun, but the whole game/ story is so Negative in purpose. Ie become the top criminal, it isn''t exactly heroic stuff. You aren''t building a better community for everybody, but making life worse.

part of the fun comes from the license for (fictional) destruction that comes with being a thug.

I''d like to see something like Thunderbirds, where you are trying to save lives.. but using cool machines to do so.
90% of criminal work isn''t what its like in GTA either. Realism anywhere is boring. Games are designed to be fun, not realistic. Personally i allways thought that splinter cell was stupid for that reason. Far to realistic to be fun.
This discussion makes me think of True Crime: Streets of LA. It''s basically GTA3, but you''re a cop instead. So as you drive around you''ll get calls about random crimes in progress, and you can also continue on to your real destination to advance the story. If you kill to many people civil unrest goes up and the cops come after YOU.
I though about involving accidents and fires as well, you could get called there to cordon off the area, re-direct traffic perhaps and take up reports. Here it would be nice to have coordinated efforts with Fire Department and Paramedics.

Havn''t really thought about how the game should look, I thought from the top-down since it''s probably easier to work with but like Grand Theft Auto 3 would be great. The problem of course is that a lot of the callups police get are inside appartments and houses, havn''t really thought about how to implement them.

You would probably have to glamourize things a bit and make them a bit more "Hollywood". Or you could divide the city the game is set in into areas with more crime and less crime. So if the player wants some action all he has to do is to patrol in the crime area and pick up a drug dealer or something.

It would also be nice to have a reputation as bob_the_third stated.. You could also do some sort of advancement, for example you start in a small town and work your way up to larger cities? Might work..

I wish I could check out True Crime but unfortantly I don''t own an X-Box or any other TV-games console. However as I recall there was someone who did a mod for Grand Theft Auto 1 where you were a cop. Don''t know how that turned out in the end though.

A couple of years ago I had this idea as well so I
wrote a partial storyboard going to try to dig it up. Unfortantly I don''t have the time to puruse my idea today

Thanks for all the thoughts!

------
Uziana.com - Your source for alternative gaming!
http://www.uziana.com
True Crime is probably exactly what you''re talking about. It''s a very good video game, although i never figured out why everyone in town knows kung-fu. I especially like frisking suspicious individual on the street. It''s okay, Terry vs. Ohio makes it okay with "reasonable suspicion that criminal activity is afoot". (Spoiler: If they don''t make eye contact with you, and aren''t on a cell phone, they''re hiding something.)

However, that''s all fistfights, gunfights, or car/foot chases. You never have to actually respond to a domestic violence call and talk to people. Really, that would do two things. First, it would make for a boring video game. You''d have to drive responsibly, patrol the area you were assigned, and put up with the chain of command. Second, it would require such a sophisticated level of interaction with NPCs that you''d either be unable to keep up or you''d have scripted encounters.

True Crime is probably as close as we''re likely to get to a police simulator in the "patrol and respond" category. I have police training, and we had a neat system called F.A.T.S. (FireArm Tactics Simulator or something like that). you stood in front of a projection screen with a modified pistol that shot laser beams, and responded to an incident that was presented. I did it three times.

The first time, I was back-up on a drug sting, and I just ran in and shouted, and never had to fire my gun. Second time, I was doing a traffic stop, the guy had a gun, but he threw it out on the ground and ran away, so I couldn''t in good conscience shoot him. The third time, a van full of gunmen shot my partner and swarmed out (four of them). Two tried to kill me, and I dove behind my car''s engine block and smoked them, and the other two ran a ways and started shooting, so I picked them off. 26 lethal hits, 6 non-lethal hits, 2 misses. I was a good shot, although the Glock I was using would have only had 18 rounds. I would have had to reload.

But that system was totally dynamic, based on the operator. If I didn''t assert myself properly at the first traffic stop, the instructor could have chosen a different branch of the game tree and had that guy shoot at me instead of running. My partner might have written a ticket and let the guys go, or one of the dope peddlers might have been strapped. That had a human running it, and I was actually standing there, not using a control pad or mouse. I don''t think you can really simulate that kind of thing without a really good interface. Verbal commands were a huge amount of the program, and I''ve yet to see a software implementation that can understand the difference between "Step away from the vehicle," and "STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!", and understand both the semantics and timbre of the command.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement