3Ds 5 MAX

Started by
8 comments, last by Druzzer007 20 years, 1 month ago
Is 3ds 5 max a good package and is it a feasible idea to use making games(especially mouse input games), for instance a game like chess. ============================= Andrew Schwartz Moagi
=============================Andrew Schwartz Moagi
Advertisement
1. Wrong forum
2. It is/was one of the industry standard modelling packages. So yes.
3. It''s expensive though, so if you want a cheaper alternatives look into blender or Milkshape 3D. There''s also a free version of Max called gmax, although you''ll have trouble saving your work in a usable format.
3ds max is a 3d package, it renders 2d images, exports 3d models, and animation etc.. You can''t make a game with Max alone..

Oh, and also unless you want a 3d chess game, don''t get it..

1)I''ll have mercy and assume you aren''t going to say that you have a license.
2)In that case, it''s too expensive for what you need, spend ~100 on Visual C++ and a bit more to get a more entry-level modeller such as the aforementioned Milkshape, Blender, or Game Space. You may also want to save a bit of cash to purchase a license of Photoshop, the standard 2d image manipulation program.

- It''s a life''s work
:Image Hosting @ $5/3 Months
:30Gig/month bandwidth Reseller Plan @ $40/3 Month
Generic WebHost: The Cheapest Hosting Around!

-ryan@lecherousjester.com
use Blender...it has an in-built game engine and its freeware

[edited by - AcRiD_aCiD on January 16, 2004 3:41:07 AM]
Ancient words of wisdom-You Suck!
quote:Original post by BattleGuard
3ds max is a 3d package, it renders 2d images, exports 3d models, and animation etc.. You can''t make a game with Max alone..

Hey man could you please elaborate on your point, i have already invested so much on the idea that i don''t think i can turn back, finance is not a problem to me.
=============================Andrew Schwartz Moagi
quote:Original post by Druzzer007
quote:Original post by BattleGuard

Hey man could you please elaborate on your point, i have already invested so much on the idea that i don''t think i can turn back, finance is not a problem to me.

Hmm... I''m not sure which point you needed elaborating, but anyway:

3DSMax is a modelling program. It is useful for creating 3D models, animations, as well as 2D renders. You could use it to model your chess pieces, but you''d still need to write the rest of the game in some kind of programming language - 3DSMax will only give you the models. (I''d kind of assumed you knew this when I wrote my first post)

Although you could model your chess pieces in 3DSMax, and then render them for use in a 2D game, this is probably overkill depending on the graphical requirements of your game. There are much cheaper and easier ways of getting 2D images of chess pieces.

3DS Max isn''t a game creation system - just a 3D art creation system (models and animations.) It is a very good 3D art package but just an art package.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions (www.obscure.co.uk)
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
let me quote myself

quote:Original post by AcRiD_aCiD
use Blender...it has an in-built game engine and its freeware

[edited by - AcRiD_aCiD on January 16, 2004 3:41:07 AM]

Ancient words of wisdom-You Suck!
Andrew, please get in contact with me asap.
Thanks,
Chris
Yes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement