Game Industry Positions?

Started by
4 comments, last by XeRoZeN 20 years, 3 months ago
What are the "Positions" of people in a certain project? Like CEO..Level Designer and etc I''m just wondering so I''m prepared for game industry one day :D
Advertisement
Right now IDGN(?) is working on Industry standard names. A Dictator for life at one company is a Level Designer at another.

Titles are basically ad hoc right now.

~~~~~
"One Reality is worth one thousand dreams"
Download and play Slime King I.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
What is that sopose to do with the positions I was wondering positions as in "Level Designer", "Executive", or "Producer".
quote:Original post by XeRoZeN
What is that sopose to do with the positions I was wondering positions as in "Level Designer", "Executive", or "Producer".

dude, read the reply.

-----------------------------
Amma
-----------------------------Amma
quote:Original post by XeRoZeN
I''ll explain it wordier.

There is no standard. A "Level Designer" at one company might have a totally different set of responiblities than a "Level Designer" at another. A "Co-producer" can be a "Lead Programmer" or a "Programming Manager" or a "Head Programmer" and have the exact same job.

Basically, there are 4 types of people
- Programmers
- Artists(including musicians)
- Designers
- Management

How these four break down in title and responsiblity depends on the company. Some companies overlap these a lot. Some companies have definite boundries.

I''ll give a real life example.

- The original design for Doom was to have all the monsters avalible from the beginning. Meaning that the Archanoid could be in level #1. A level designer not only came up with the idea that there should be only 1 type of monster allowed for level 1, and add monsters to the game as the levels get harder, but actually came up with the level numbers for when these monsters appear.

- A level designer for UT2003 gets a lot of preformed architecture, and he goes to work. The game is pretty much designed for him/her, they just have to work with the programmers to get it to look nice.

The same title, but one is actually doing design work, while the other is simply making levels.

~~~~~
"Thank you for those kind words." - Cowsarenotevil
Download and play Slime King I.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Ahh Thanks Thats what I needed!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement