Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

billybob

working directory constantly changing?

I have been having serious trouble with file management throughout all the time working on my game. what seems to be happening is files are loaded/saved into a directory, then all files attempting to use relative directories use that has their working directory. for example, I open/save my Config.ini file without any directory information. because of this, my ini file gets deposited anywhere a file has been opened/saved last. surely, there is a way to prevent the working directory from changing like this?

I use std::fstream/ifstream/ofstream, usually I just let it go out of scope, but there are a few places where I .close it. I don't do anything strange with opening or closing files, and I've checked the filenames EVERY SINGLE open call makes with my log, all seem perfectly fine.

[edited by - billybob on January 22, 2004 9:57:50 PM]

// set current directory to exe's root
wchar_t applicationDir[MAX_PATH];
::GetModuleFileName(instance, applicationDir, MAX_PATH);
wchar_t* endPath = wcsrchr(applicationDir, L'\\');
if(endPath)
*endPath = 0;

::SetCurrentDirectory(applicationDir);

[edited by - antareus on January 22, 2004 10:28:26 PM]

I don''t understand what you mean. first of all, how would you know, second, what would I do when I''m NOT in the application''s directory (as it seems to be after I open a file that isn''t in there)

use all but the last line of antareus'' sample code, and save it in a char array somewhere. then, when you want to open a file, copy this saved path before the filename. you can even write an inline function to do it.

Because most people will simply getmodulefilename once and build full paths from there. The safest method ever.
If you insist on having ..\ you could always use a path class that will concatenate strings for you to build a qualified path string from that.

Using ..\ in a path is allowed, so just copying the apps path before the filename should work.
"C:\windows\..\autoexec.bat" for example will refer to "C:\autoexec.bat", and the conversion will be handled by the OS