Buying USED BOOKS Online

Started by
9 comments, last by Cris987 20 years, 3 months ago
I''m planning to buy Used books online at amazon.com . The price is very tempting, but is it worth it? Does anyone have the experience? Cuz I''m afraid that there will be no-cd, or ripped pages, or pencil marks on it...Thx
Advertisement
I always buy used books from amazon if it costs a lot less than a new one. I haven''t had a bad book yet. Read the comments the seller put on the book and the conditions on the page also tell you what condition(obviously) the book is in.
yep, i''ve often bought used books from amazon. you are buying them from book resellers or little shops, you don''t run the ebay type of risk really. also, it''s almost the only way to find LOTR books without the annoying movie covers.

i''ve never had a problem with the used dealers and in many cases my used book will get to my door before the new books. make sure you read the condition of the book part b/c used books vary from really crappy to almost pristine.

-me
Well...all of them says "LIKE NEW" , and it seems to me it's kinda...exaagerating.

You look at comments like THESE: ***BRAND NEW***100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE / BUY WITH CONFIDENCE, CONFIRMATION E-MAIL WITH ALL ORDERS, SHIP WITH IN 24 HOURS.... and you see a price difference of 20 bucks...it just seems to me there's a problem. Anyways, I think it's good, I saw the ratings and they all said it was brand new and stuff. I think I'll go for it.

[edited by - Cris987 on January 23, 2004 9:43:22 PM]
I''ve purchased two used books off of amazon, Tricks of the windows game programming gurus and game programming gems volume 1. Both of them were advertised as *LIKE NEW* and both arrived at my door a few weeks later in perfect condition.

My only complaint is that they were shipped book rate, which is cheaper but takes forever.
I''ve only been screwed over once by Amazon.com''s used system. It took a month to correct, but it worked.

It takes a lot longer to get your books, but if the book is just for fun, then it''s ok.

Just make sure to read the comments. If the guy has a lot of negitive comments in the last 20 comments, even if his score is high, it might be a bad bet.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
thx guys. Bu i''ve one more questions: I live in Canada, and I found out that there''s no "TRICKS OF THE WINDOWS GAME PROGRAMMING GURUS 2ND ED." on amazon.ca . Is it possible for me to buy it USED on amazon.com?
I''ve never had trouble buying used books online.

Think about how you treat your books... It''s not like they are power tools or see much outdoor use. I tend to assume that any used book I buy will look more or less like one of my used books, which is pretty nice, and very clean on the inside. I''m not one to get worked up about the odd pencil mark or dented corner, so be warned if you buy books as aesthetic pieces rather than tools. I can imagine someone spilling coffee on a book and trying to unload it online, but if they are trying to get more than one-shot business, that''s not going to be a very smart move.

I believe the used books on Amazon are not actually sold by Amazon, rather Amazon is an intermediary between you and some private party that''s selling the books. So if you are really worried about getting what you think you bought, try someplace like powells.com, or one of the online textbook retailers. They sell very nice quality used books directly.

[Edited by - The_Incubator on June 14, 2006 2:44:15 PM]
I bought 5 books + software from ebay for a total of about £64 shop price of £150+ so it is worth shopping around but check to see ratail price using amazon and add delivery.

Boo!! I know all.
quote:Original post by Cris987
thx guys. Bu i''ve one more questions: I live in Canada, and I found out that there''s no "TRICKS OF THE WINDOWS GAME PROGRAMMING GURUS 2ND ED." on amazon.ca . Is it possible for me to buy it USED on amazon.com?

Umm...can someone answer my second question plz? (''bout buying in Canada)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement