Whats wrong with my code?

Started by
4 comments, last by mink_trapper 20 years, 3 months ago
Hello GDNet members, I am sorta new to C++ and for my first program i tried to make a program that will solve the quadratic equation for me. After finishing my program and compiling and running, I tested it out. It didnt work... Here it is for those of you that can help.

#include <iostream>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

int Newfunc(int d, int b, int a, int g);

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
  int a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h;

cout << "                       Welcome to Insertname" << endl;
  cout << "                    Brought to you by Nickware" << endl;
  cout << " " << endl;
  cout << "The quadratic formla is ax^2+bx+c" << endl;
  cout << " " << endl;
  cout << " What is A?" << endl;
  cin >> a;
  cout << "What is B?" << endl;
  cin >> b;
  cout << "What is C?" << endl;
  cin >> c;
  cout << "your equation is " << a << "x^2+" << b << "x+" << c << endl;
  system ("PAUSE");
  d = (b * b) - (4 * a * c); 
    if (d < 0)
    {
    Newfunc(d,b,a,g);
    return 0;
    } 
  e = sqrt (d);
  f = (-b + e) / (2 * a);
  g = (-b - e) / (2 * a);
  cout << "The solutions are " << f << " and " << g <<endl;
  system ("PAUSE");
}

int Newfunc(int d, int b, int a, int g)
{
    int h;
    h = sqrt (-d);
    cout << "                   Complex Solutions:" << endl;
    cout << "The real part is" << - b / (2 * a) << endl;
    cout << "The imaginary part is " << g / (2 * a); 
    system ("PAUSE");
}
______________________________________________________________ "It takes all kinds." -Adam Carolla
______________________________________________________________"It takes all kinds." -Adam CarollaMy Site
Advertisement
Looks right (I didn''t read the whole thing), but your problem is probably as a result of the fact that all of your variables are ints. Ints only stores integers (meaning whole numbers), while most of the numbers involved in the quadratic equation are decimal numbers. Use double instead.

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Yeah, clum is right.

But mink_trapper, aren''t you the guy you illegally downloaded Visual Studio...?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
mink, your problem is here:

int Newfunc(int d, int b, int a, int g){    int h;  h = sqrt (-d); cout << "                   Complex Solutions:" << endl;    cout << "The real part is" << - b / (2 * a) << endl;  cout << "The imaginary part is " << g / (2 * a);  system ("PAUSE");}

your function is supposed to return an int...it returns nothing....the rest of the program should work without a hitch, but man, you've got variables galore! Regardless of efficiency, the proggy should work once you work on your function.

[edited by - nervo on January 24, 2004 10:30:14 PM]
Well, R2D22U2..
quote:Original post by PlayGGY
Yeah, clum is right.

But mink_trapper, aren't you the guy you illegally downloaded Visual Studio...?

Yea i am, and im sorry fo r it (I dont have it anymore, i deleted it)

EDIT: Whats a double? I dont think im ther in my book yet.

"It takes all kinds." -Adam Carolla

[edited by - mink_trapper on January 25, 2004 3:28:34 AM]
______________________________________________________________"It takes all kinds." -Adam CarollaMy Site
A double is a 64 bit floating point datatype

It can hold numbers in the range approximately +/- 10^308, with a precision of about 16 digits

Notice however, that precision will be lost when performing arithmetic operations on the numbers.

You could also use extended doubles (which are the native format of the fpu in most modern computers). They have a 64bit mantissa, and a 16bit exponent, making for a higher range and precision. (and they support none normalized values)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement