Emulation in OpenGL and Direct3D

Started by
10 comments, last by McBugzz 20 years, 3 months ago
Direct3D has the magic HEL driver. Is there anything like emulation for OpenGL? As far as I know there''s none (at least no built-in), but I want to make sure.
---You're not your CPU, or your graphics card, you're not your RAM...
Advertisement
Well, there''s Mesa, which is a software OpenGL implementation. For more advanced features however, older nvidia cards can use the NV30 emulation driver. It''ll run slow as hell mind.

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
What should the emulation emulate?
OpenGL is part of windows, you have all operations working. So what should an emulation do?
Linux has Mesa...

Windows has a crappy OpenGL 1.1 software implemenation...

btw. today it should be hard to find a computer without a graphic card which can do OpenGL...
quote:Original post by Woodoo
btw. today it should be hard to find a computer without a graphic card which can do OpenGL...

Thank you for insulting my laptop.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Doesn''t the MS implementation of OpenGL work on any decent video card (don''t want to uninstall my nvidia driver to test that).
quote:Original post by VolkerG
Doesn''t the MS implementation of OpenGL work on any decent video card (don''t want to uninstall my nvidia driver to test that).

MS''s implementation is a software implementation and does not depend on the graphics card at all.
quote:Original post by Brother Bob
quote:Original post by VolkerG

MS''s implementation is a software implementation and does not depend on the graphics card at all.

That''s the point:
- You have software emulation if the driver does not have its own OpenGL implementation.
- If you have an OpenGL enabled driver all functions are supported, too.
So: WHAT should an emulation like the HEL do? You could as well say, there is a HEL for OpenGL.
OpenGL is a spec, and as such any driver you use must implement the whole thing. It''s up to the driver to emulate whatever isn''t present in the card.

The whole "HEL" thing is over blown dumbness, it doesn''t do anything special except say that "if the card don''t support it, it''ll be rendered in software..."

There''s also something to be said for OGL extensions... which is where it gets murky. Here''s hoping for a newer OGL spec.
Well it''s all about extensions. When I write a DirectX app I don''t have to worry about real hardware support, but when I''m writing a program that uses, for example ARB_Vertex_Program, won''t I have problems with hardware that is not OpenGL 1.5 compliant? Or who will do the multitexturing if the car''s not familiar with OpenGL 1.3 (or just doesn''t have the ARB_multitexture)?

So the question is, will my app run in full functinality on older hardware like TNT2 (I''m using GF4Ti) with the latest drivers installed, if I use something that is not directly supported by that hardware?
---You're not your CPU, or your graphics card, you're not your RAM...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement