Exciting new game idea! What now?

Started by
10 comments, last by BossmanMike 20 years, 3 months ago
I came up with a new idea for a game that I believe is brilliant! The only problem is, I don''t know what to do with my idea. I have always played a lot of video games, but I''ve never tried to create one before. I need advice. What can I do with my idea to see that it has a chance to get created? Any and all help will be appreciated. Mike
Advertisement
You obviously need to make your idea into a game, so your best bet would be to learn how to program, and make various kinds of in-game art. Once you get a working version of the game, you can contact publishers in which case you might get money/help to finish your game. Although you''ll probably be stuck doing it on your own.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Actually, you might first want to clearly document your idea, including why you think it's good and the kinds of situations you imagine the player experiencing. ANYTHING that comes to your mind, especially the parts that make you think, "Wow, this really IS a good idea."

Anything to help you maintain the original snapshot of your idea so that you don't get distracted and sidetracked by its development (which includes discussing it with others and showing others your early work in progress).

[edited by - Waverider on January 25, 2004 9:36:24 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
quote:Original post by Waverider
Actually, you might first want to clearly document your idea, including why you think it''s good and the kinds of situations you imagine the player experiencing. ANYTHING that comes to your mind, especially the parts that make you think, "Wow, this really IS a good idea."

Anything to help you maintain the original snapshot of your idea so that you don''t get distracted and sidetracked by its development (which includes discussing it with others and showing others your early work in progress).

That''s a good point which I left out. You really do need a firm design befor you begin to work on it.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
If you don''t want to program, you can start making 3D models for game Mods. It will probably take you a bit longer to get your game out tho. Search for Blender, Art Of Illusion on google - they are both good 3D modeling programs.

{Edit: nm, someone else covered my point}

[edited by - Zahlman on January 26, 2004 9:26:13 PM]
And talking about brilliant ideas. I am not trying to let you down, but almost everybody here have their own brilliant ideas. Your idea might have been thought by someone else, only not yet implemented. And implementing this idea is the hardest part of all because creating a game is always not as easy as you think.

edit: don't start asking for help in Help Wanted. Ask somewhere else. You'll be likely to get flamed there.

[edited by - alnite on January 26, 2004 11:06:48 PM]
You might want to prototype your idea using a game maker or a game language.

Such as Blitz Basic or Dark Basic.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
You might want to go here . Read article one "I Have A Game Idea!"
You can tell me your idea, and i will make it for you
You can email me at: goatmuncher69@hotmail.com
I have made other games...... like Doom, you might have heard of it....... i promise i will give you half the profits*

Muncher
*promise may not be honored

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement