Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

when to use who/whom?

Started by amish1234 Jan 29, 2004 at 2:32 PM 4 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
amish1234
amish1234
I consulted The Brief Handbook (AKA The Brief-Holt Handbook) and I have no idea WTF it is talking about because it uses the terms "subject" and "object." It says that when the pronoun (who/whom) serves as the subject of its clause, use "who" or "whoever." But when the pronoun functions as the object of its clause, use "whom" or "whomever." Does anyone know WTF "subject" and "object" mean or have a simpler explanation for this? I suppose I could just look up what the subject and object are in the Brief Handbook, or use google, but that would just be so much work. I''d rather be misinformed by someone here. ___________________________________________________________ Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice. Where to find the intensity (Updated Jan 23, 2004)
___________________________________________________________Where to find the intensity (Updated Dec 28, 2004)Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
Sneftel
Sneftel
Who is shooting him?

Whom is he shooting?

Who painted the cow?

Whom is the man painting?


"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
Promit
Promit
Who is always the subject of a sentence.

Whom is always the object of a sentence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Conner McCloud
Conner McCloud
You use ''whom'' whenever Word puts a squiggly green line under ''who.'' Most people don''t realize this, but ''whom'' was invented by the creator of the first grammer checking software in order to increase the number of squiggly green lines it produced.

CM
BradDaBug
BradDaBug
"who" == "he"
"whom" == "him"

Just replace "who(m)" with either "he" or "him." Then you know which to use. To expand on Sneftel's example:

Who is shooting him? (He) is shooting him.

Whom is he shooting? He is shooting (him).

Who painted the cow? (He) painted the cow.

Whom is the man painting? The man is painting (him).

See?

[edited by - BradDaBug on January 29, 2004 3:55:17 PM]
I like the DARK layout!
fractionMan
fractionMan
The subject is usually the thing doing the verb, as in:

I was looking at the painting
(subject) was looking at the (object)

Bob likes cheese
(subject) likes (object)


Oh, and don't trust grammar checkers. They suck balls.

[edited by - fractionMan on January 29, 2004 4:04:15 PM]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.