General Business Question

Started by
11 comments, last by Wayfarer 23 years, 8 months ago
If I happen to be at least 18 years of age (not sure if that really matters), and I want to have my own company name legally in the books and register it, and then I do absolutely nothing afterwards , do I have to pay any additional taxes, fill out any additional tax forms, or do anything different than as if I had no company at all? I''m just curious how it works. Wayfarer
Advertisement
That would depend greatly of which country you are in. In the UK a registered (Limited) company must post accounts every year (for which you would probably have to pay an accountant. Other than that zip!

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
If you incorporate in the US, you will have to keep records and file taxes every year from what I know. If you don''t make money though, you may not have to do anything. Best bet will be to ask an accountant what your tax requirements will be. It will also cost you money to incorporate so I am not so sure you should incorporate.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
I understand that in the US it varies by state. My boss informed me that in MO if a company doesn''t make a profit in three years, it has to dissolve its corporation status - although it can reform instantly under another name. I''ve no idea if he was being knowledgeable or not.... hard to tell with bosses. ;-p
I don''t want to start cross-posting, so I post it here. btw, this is
for the US.

Is registering for an assumed company name the same thing as registering
for a business or are they different? Can you have an assumed name
without a business?

What I am specifically concerned about is how to gain ownership of a
company name, without bringing on any further obligations if that is all
I want at the moment.

Wayfarer
Skip the company if you don''t intend to spend a lot of time and money with the taxman....

Register your self a trademark instead. I guess it will cost 1.000 bucks or so, depending if you have a lawyer friend or not...

Trademark can be owned by private persons and have no other obligations than pay the fee ;-)

bmolsson
bmolsson
Oops I kinda screwed up with the other thread I started (Registering a business name). I''d glanced at this one before, but now that I''ve read it in depth, I realize you''re asking pretty much the same thing as I am, Wayfarer.

I found this page which details the process of starting a business for my state, Texas. You may be able to find your state''s on the web, too. Like I mentioned in my other thread, I''m going with a "Sole proprietorship". As far as I know, all I have to do is get a DBA/assumed name since my real name won''t appear in my business name. This costs like $50.

bmolsson, from what I''ve researched today, a trademark alone will probably not suffice for Wayfarer. I think that, once you have a business name, you can optionally register a trademark for that name to protect it (DBA''s don''t give you protection, so I guess that''s something to consider).
quote:Original post by bmolsson

Skip the company if you don''t intend to spend a lot of time and money with the taxman....
Register your self a trademark instead. I guess it will cost 1.000 bucks or so, depending if you have a lawyer friend or not...
Trademark can be owned by private persons and have no other obligations than pay the fee ;-)

bmolsson

The only problem with this is that a Trademark (as the name suggests) is protection for the name you trade under. If a company does not actually trade then the Trademark will lapse and anyone else can use it.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
www.obscure.co.uk
quote:
If a company does not actually trade then the Trademark will lapse and anyone else can use it.

Well then, maybe I should create a non-profit game organization?

Wayfarer
Well it wouldn''t be the first : )
Sadly too many developers (and publishers) fail to make a profit in the current market place.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement