Original Post
I know the game is old, but I am wondering what kind of algorithm was used to make the enemy ships fly the different attack patterns. How was the flight path info stored, etc?
Marcus
quote:
Original post by kirkd
I was thinking about this one recently myself. I, too, have never implemented this sort of AI but I''m thinking of making a Galaga clone.
The predefined flight paths I think is a great idea for the bonus levels where the player tries to take out as many enemies as possible. But for the standard levels it may become too predictable. My thoughts were identify squadrons which would dive a periodic intervals and calculate a bezier curve between their position and the player. The squadron would then follow the bezier.
Again, this might be too predictable. A more advanced version would provide each enemy with an individual AI and let it run autonomously. During the dive it could adjust its flight path in process. Something similar to Mat Bucland''s Lunar Lander demo from his book "AI Techniques for Game Programming." A little fuzziness would help to control the skill level of the enemy.
-Kirk
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more