Software Piracy - Visual Arts Forum Policy Reminder

Started by
27 comments, last by digisoap 20 years, 1 month ago
You know, it's become pretty obvious recently that a large number of GDNet members who post in this forum are using pirated 2D/3D design software. So, just so anyone who didn't hear/read me say it last time, I'll say it again: ask questions that can be answered by reading the manual, saying you've "lost" the manual or "lost" the serial for Character Studio/MAX, can I do this/that/the other in the 3D app I have, which all more or less show that you've pirated the app, and you're goint to be banned, without question, and without warning. If I THINK you've pirated the software, but are not 100% sure, you're going to be set to "Nearly Banned" and will have a week to prove otherwise. Got it? Good. Think it's unreasonable? Too bad. So is expecting help from people who've paid large sums of money, typically, for the programs you've pirated. This topic is NOT open for discussion. -Nick "digisoap" Robalik Web & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Design http://www.digital-soapbox.com nick@digital-soabox.com [edited by - digisoap on February 20, 2004 10:12:58 PM]
-Nick "digisoap" RobalikWeb & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Designhttp://www.digital-soapbox.com[email=nick@digital-soapbox.com]nick@digital-soabox.com[/email]
Advertisement
I know this is not open for discussion, so forgive me, but I think giving someone a big fat "nearly banned" tag just because you think they might be pirating software isn''t really justified. Also, how can you expect someone to "prove" they''ve not pirated anything. Not to mention that many visit less than once every week.

"Unfortunatly, when I sent the email, instead of writing "Best Regards" I ended up writing "Best Retards." - boolean
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
As cows noted, I am aware that this topic is not open for discussing, but decided that it is ok to reply as the topic is not marked as closed (yet).
I agree with cows. It would be almost impossible to prove that you have not pirated software via the internet.
and my two cent to it : ever tried to read manuals ? and ever tried to figure out what they mean there ?

that´s why i love forums

tilesets games sprites
http://www.reinerstileset.de
tilesets games spriteshttp://www.reinerstileset.de
There are also cases where people can legitimately use otherwise expensive software without owning it (at least for non-commercial purposes). For example, 3DS Max is installed on all computers in the Computer Graphics pool at my university. And getting access to this pool is not very difficult.
quote:Original post by BitMaster
There are also cases where people can legitimately use otherwise expensive software without owning it (at least for non-commercial purposes). For example, 3DS Max is installed on all computers in the Computer Graphics pool at my university. And getting access to this pool is not very difficult.

Even at that, the properly licensed versions have great help files and tutorials.
Just my 2c here.

It is possible to obtain some extremely good software free of charge (here in the UK magazines come with CD''s and DVD''s full of the stuff), and there are cases when the help files and online manuals are removed for space reasons.

I cannot PROVE I legitimately own the stuff I use without, perhaps, posting the relevant CD to an angry moderator.

In general, it is almost impossible to prove something wasn''t done.

Being banned ''on suspicion'' does seem a bit harsh. That''s all.

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.
StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.
I got ts3 from a PCPlus cover disc, with nothing but the installer, so me asking for help on an aspect of this would get me banned? Sorry but thats just stupid, what should I do... post my PCPlus mag?(I''m not allowed to copy the cover disc ).

And as BitMaster said, nearly every university has shedloads of software but getting access to the manuals is a tad difficult(if nigh-on impossible).

Madness.

.:Cubicle2:.
Exactly what good does it do to ban someone from the forum for pirating? How does it even relate? It's definitely not going to help stop piracy. It's pointless.

EDIT: Some really young kids are out there making games right now, with a pirated version of Max 6. How would these 10-15 year old kids use a $5000 program, otherwise? If they want it, they have no choice.

[edited by - Jiia on March 22, 2004 4:06:27 PM]
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Even at that, the properly licensed versions have great help files and tutorials.

While this is certainly true in some cases, it is not always like that. 3DS Max for example has great tutorials for modelling, but I was rather stuck when I had to develop a plug-in for 3DS Max as part of a practical. There were tutorials for plug-ins, but none really fitted for the type I had to develop. That let to a lot of improvisation.
Besides, that is by the point, because pirated version also have the great help files and tutorials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement