WinCVS and other CVS questions

Started by
3 comments, last by Codejoy 20 years, 2 months ago
So I decided I want to give the whole CVS thing a try (as opposed to pay for sourcesafe). My question is, anyone adept in using this? im soo new to it it hurts, and just playing with it for a bit I have some questions that weren''t answered off hand: WinCVS..Can I use this like source safe? Ideally I would like to have the CVS stuff to start with just as source control for one computer (not across a network) so I guess the client and server have to be on the same computer..a windows machine. In the future I may want to network it (so multipler coders can check in and out code across a network from a central server) that server could either be windows or linux not sure. So any help or good web pages with good info (again particularly on winCVS) it would be greatly appreciated, thanks Shane
Advertisement
The CVS Book would probably be the best place to start, even though it doesn''t cover WinCVS specifically.

However, CVS is old news. Subversion has (almost) everything CVS has, and a lot more. I would never dream about going back to CVS now for my own stuff. Check out the Subversion book. Also, if you are using VS.NET, you can use my addin .

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
You rock dude! thanks for the post, and hmm I will be using Visual C++ .net , is your addin work with subversion? Id like to check it out, does it cost? and if you made a addin for VC++ I might have to but u later on how to do that...ive alwyas wanted to make plug ins for my ide''s

Thanks a lot man!

-Shane
Use TortoiseCVS or TortoiseSVN. There is quite simply no better way to use CVS and SVN on Windows...

...coming from a person who has never used that AnkhSVN thing.
quote:Original post by Codejoy
is your addin work with subversion?

Yes.
quote:
Id like to check it out, does it cost?

No, it''s free and open source.
quote:
and if you made a addin for VC++

Ankh should work with any of the Visual *.NET editions

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement