Drawing a 2D sprite in 3D

Started by
2 comments, last by Marc aka Foddex 20 years, 1 month ago
I''ve seen a document on this in the recent past, and I remember it wasn''t very hard, but I can''t find it anymore so I ask it here. Sorry on forehand if it''s been asked before. Say I have a sprite on a 3D position in my world (small particle near a flame for example). How do I render that sprite, so that it''s always orthogonal to my view, but still centered around the 3D position it''s on? Thanks in advance! Marc P.S. I''ve taken a look at the particle articles linked to here on gamedev, but they''re all about the theories behind particles, not about drawing them...
Advertisement
it''s called billboarding...

cheers
I thought billboarding was the technique that you leave certain pixels from a texture using alpha testing... I must be mistaken then Thanks!
To draw a 2d sprite in 3d just create a quad and then texture it with the graphic of your sprite. And a billboard is a 2d object that rotates to always face the player... Like if you had a picture of a tree, you could draw a quad and then texture it with the tree and then make it a billboard .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement