Is 4d possible?

Started by
9 comments, last by Hedos 20 years, 1 month ago
Hey.. just wondering, what is the 4th dimension? If it''s something... would it be possible to create a 4d game?
Advertisement
yes, but you could''nt understand it.

check here. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Four-DimensionalGeometry.html
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
it is time and so all 3d games are 4d and all 2d actually have amazing three dimensional graphics!
(http://www.ironfroggy.com/)(http://www.ironfroggy.com/pinch)
quote:Original post by ironfroggy
it is time and so all 3d games are 4d and all 2d actually have amazing three dimensional graphics!

I think he''s referring to the fourth spatial dimension...

<- Cow Soft, free software I''ve made
"Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall." - Grizwald
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I had a neighbour at college who is doing a PhD in Theoretical Physics, and he claims that the universe can be proven to have at least ten identifiable dimensions.

So I guess the answer is yes!!
when we talk about n-dimension space we are talking about how the space is delimited, you see the games used to be 2d because you could move left-right up-down on the screen. Now they are three dimensional because you can move up-down, left-right, in-out, creating a 4 dimensional game would require another form of movement
humanity will always be slaved by its ignorance
quote:Original post by hewhay
when we talk about n-dimension space we are talking about how the space is delimited, you see the games used to be 2d because you could move left-right up-down on the screen. Now they are three dimensional because you can move up-down, left-right, in-out, creating a 4 dimensional game would require another form of movement

The hardest part for me would be not visualising linear movement in the 4th dimension, but rotation around the 4th axis. I''m not sure why that''s more difficult for me... I guess it shouldn''t be.
i''ve thought about making a game were you would press a button and switch your ''view port''

IE, you go from

x=x
y=y
z=z

but when you press the button

x=x
y=y
z=w
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
quote:Original post by psamty10
I had a neighbour at college who is doing a PhD in Theoretical Physics, and he claims that the universe can be proven to have at least ten identifiable dimensions.

So I guess the answer is yes!!
It was 11 last I heard. (The extra one solves some additional problems with string theory.)
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
I wrote a 3D wireframe software renderer, and a friend of mine extended it to 4D. It was pretty cool, but slow cause it was all VB lol.

I've talked with friends of mine on how to make a 4D game, and the basic idea was based off of ghosts. As things become more distant in the 4th dimension they fade from sight, because we decided that light bleeds through the 4th (Q) axis. So ppl who are near you along the Q axis appear as ghosts, you can see each other, but you can't interact otherwise with them. As you get closer you can start to feel each other sort of like a thick liquid and you can start to hear each other. At some point you get close enough together on the Q axis that you can have full contact, hear each other and interact completely.

In the game you can find magic talismens or technology to allow you to travel along the Q axis. Certain weapons can "phase" in and out by moving along the Q axis and thus travel through walls, which is very useful for homing missles. I'm sure you can think of many more possibilities.

For the levels you can have a series of setups for certain intervals along the Q axis and blend between them. Of course, the level size in the 4th dimension must be finite, which you can account by stating that the universe has finite width along the Q axis. Also, you could make characters have different forms at different points in the Q axis. A scrawny geek moved 1 meter along the Q axis could become an almight demon who will consume your soul, for example. You could explain that by saying people's souls and bodies are part of one body streched along the Q axis, and as you move along the Q axis different parts of the person become dominant.

Anyways, there's some ideas. Enjoy.

[edited by - DudeMiester on March 6, 2004 11:55:49 PM]
[s] [/s]
I can see the fnords.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement