Is it just me or is there a lack of directx information?

Started by
6 comments, last by johnnyBravo 20 years, 2 months ago
Hi, Is there a serious lack of directx9 information on the net, or is it just me? eg on how to use directplay 8, or skinned meshes for dx9, , billboarding etc, i havent found a single resource that gives proper information like i found stuff on billboarding for dx, but nothing on locking an axis which is the very basis for billboarding trees Does anyone know where i could find some answers for such questions? how can there be no dx information anywhere, and not like the sdk helps much wants you get passed the basics Thanks, edit: ive searched all over the net for the skinned mesh9 and directplay8 tutorials and came up with absolutely nothing, there isnt any dsound8 tutorials either, but that was fairly easy to rip from the sdk sample(it took me a while to get it out) [edited by - johnnyBravo on March 7, 2004 5:47:40 AM]
Advertisement
It''s just you i would say. There are some very knowlegable people around on theses forums. ( not me )
yea i sorta changed the subject on this post if anyone reads the post above,

but yeah, about not many pro''s on this forum, i can''t seem to get an anser out of anyone, let alone anywhere on the net, i swear i spent 6months worth of time looking for any info
Anything and everything you need to know is in the manual that comes with the sdk. Very easy to learn DPlay8 and Dsound from it.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Anything and everything you need to know is in the manual that comes with the sdk. Very easy to learn DPlay8 and Dsound from it.

well i guess its a skill to learn to read some of the sdk examples themselves,

im trying the dplay8 right now , having a bit of trouble getting rid of the mfc, and lobby code
There is a skinned mesh sample/tutorial on flipcode... You have also a sample in SDK. Take big sheet of paper, and draw bones, controles, etc.. it will help you a lot...
Locking billboards is a simple transformation, so if you know how to transorm all three rotation vectors, you`ll know how to do it with only two (leaving Z as is)... probably...

And take time when looking at samples.. it will be well worth it..

[edited by - Bulma on March 7, 2004 7:39:01 AM]
Bulma
The whole thing with advanced features is just that: they are advanced. Implementing something advanced means that you probably will not be able to find many step-by-step guides out there on the net. You will have to actually forge and write the code yourself, instead of following someone else''s. Yes, there are some great guides and examples out there (this website, the SDK, for example), but ultimately, it''s up to you to understand and implement your goal, even if that means you do it completely different than anyone else has before.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
You''ll also find that the more advanced techniques exist only in whitepaper form - the people working with them are experienced enough that they know how to take a technique illustrated by a whitepaper and apply it to whatever graphics API they''re working with.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement