Mobile Multiplayer Gaming

Started by
3 comments, last by Woody FX 20 years, 1 month ago
I''d like to hear some of your feelings on how the future may unfold. I think that there is a big future in Multiplayer games for Mobiles. Especially as the networks improve and the phones support more suitable connection technologies like sockets etc and the introduction of flat rate gprs fees. I know there will always be the problem of poor UI and and small screen but good design can always make things a little easier for the users. I know of 2 games out now that seem to be doing ok (but i dont know any concrete users figures or even projected ones) TibiaME and Era of Eidolon. What are your feelings ? and do you know of any other Massively Multiplayer Mobile online Games.. ?? or how they are doing in player figures. Brian
Advertisement
check wgamer.com forum, they discussing mobile MMORPG there. In my opinion Mobile MMORPG will not take off untill flat GPRS rates spread everythere (for now only in Italy I think). And even then they would quite differ from desktop based MMORPG - latency issue. They will probably more like graphical MUD then modern MMORPG...
Yeah i know i have been posting in that thread.. but would like to hear peoples thoughts!
I think they will be very big in a couple years time.

the problem is they need to be able to picked up very easily and the player should be able to play for a very little amount of time and get something from it instantly.

the user should be able to pick up the game and play instantly not have to go through loads of screen just to get to play.

also what happens if they are in the middle of combat and thier phone goes off.

what happens if they are on a train and go through a long tunnel and loss signal, do they loss there position and or fight

lots of questions to be asked and answered

really interesting field.

[edited by - themonkster on March 18, 2004 6:32:31 PM]
I have some ideas about it. The thing is, server send to client big situation blocks, and there couldn't be any timed events. That would take care of latency and cost issues too. Instead of continuous stream of packets as in modern MMORPG server will send to client "situation block", which could be played by client at least for several minutes. The server should freeze the area until client played it through. More like PBEM strategy then action/rpg. If there were a team and a member dropped all team situation frozen and team dissolved to pursue other goals until update from all client arrived. This would favor smaller team and stronger relationships. Something like this...

[edited by - serg3d on March 19, 2004 5:52:03 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement