Importance of Calculus?

Started by
13 comments, last by newOperator 20 years, 1 month ago
How important is calculus in game programming? In programming in general? I''m just curious -- haven''t taken any calculus yet.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by newOperator
How important is calculus in game programming? In programming in general?

I''m just curious -- haven''t taken any calculus yet.

Extremely important. You can fake your way through with just the basic 3D stuff. But once you get into curves and surfaces, quaternions, and physics, calculus is a must.
Let me tell you that after algebra, calculus is most important field of mathematics. It appears everywhere .

Don''t try to get out of learning it, because its importance is just staggering. You can avoid calculus completely in game programming, right up until you have to implement real physics. At that point you''re probably asking for trouble.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Well, wrburns is pretty much correct about the last part, but you don''t necessarily need to do any of those to participate in game programming, and you certainly don''t need those to do a large amount of general programming tasks. You can get by easily in programming without calculus. Only certain types of programs, and only certain parts of those programs actually use calculus.

Of course, I''d encourage you to learn calculus, just because it''s so darned cool. (Yes, maybe I''m a masochist.) And you never know when it might actually be useful. If you''re familiar with it, then you''re that much more prepared for those unknown situations. But it''s still not incredibly important for most programming tasks.

int Agony() { return *((int*)0); } Mwahaha... >8)
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
I used mostly linear algebra in my 3D calculations.

I did make use of calculus for purposes of calculating an optimal test point for collisions between two objects (testing at the closest passing point), but I eventually scrapped that for predicting the first point of collision between them.

Other than that, I haven''t used calculus.... yet.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
quote:Original post by Promit Don''t try to get out of learning it, because its importance is just staggering.

gee well now u tell me, 2 years too late!

how am i ever going to relearn it, i had so much trouble getting into it!
Calculus is important because you learn about vectors and parametric equations. Its more important so you can sit around and trade calculus horror stories with your geek friends later in life....

"The best way to learn calculus is to work problems until you puke, then wipe off the puke and work some more"
I''d say it''s not necessary, and its importance depends on what you consider important. If you don''t care much for understanding the underlying algorithms and concepts, I doubt you''d consider it important. If you don''t think that learning Lisp will make you a better C++ programmer, I doubt you''d consider it important.
Of course, depending on what you are working on, the importance of Calculus will vary. I make games for a living but I don''t do renderer or physics, but both calculus and algebra have been very useful to me in the course of solving problems at work.

I would say that it is important even if only to further your understanding of mathematic concepts. Calculus is about the most useful form of math there is. Its applications are all over the place, and they are practical ones too! I laughed when I was learning it in school, but I can think of several specific instances while working on a problem that I solved the problem by remembering something from Calculus courses in college.

Of course, taking calculus, or algebra, or any specific course will not make you a great programmer or instantly make you knowledgeable about all math related things. I mean, honestly how much are you actively able to recall after your final exam? I know I tried to forget it as quickly as possible! The point is that a few years later when you do come across a problem, something will *click* in your head saying "Hm... I think I''ve seen this before." Then you bust out the dusty calculus book and find that chapter (I still have mine and it is well worn and loved.)

The bigger picture to me, is that unless you are a very unique person, any math problem you come across has already been solved by someone smarter than you, and more efficiently than your solution. I find that the problem is being aware of the existing solution and then understanding it. Taking courses in calculus (or algebra, etc.) or even studying on your own by reading some books will benefit you greatly. Its especially pleasing in those instances like I said, where you have to solve a problem and you realize you already know the answer because you read about it three years ago in your calc book.
Plus, wouldn''t you all say that calculus is generally a prerequisite for matrix theory and linear algebra? You must learn these things to do game programming unless you want to spend the bulk of your time coming up with untidy, brain bending solutions to a problem that the mathematically sophisticated could approach with ease.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement