shaders = faster???

Started by
3 comments, last by stefan5000 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi everyone! While I was playing the Splinter Cell 2 demo today, I realized that it run faster with active night vision. Am I right when I think that my game would run faster when I''m using Vertex and Pixel Shaders??? thx for any answer! cu
Advertisement
It depends on the card. All of ATI''s DX9 cards use shaders for everything internally. The fixed function pipe is converted to shaders by the driver on the inside. They did this so that they didn''t have to design two seperate paths for geometry and to save on die size for the chip.

NVIDIA''s DX9 cards still have a dedicated fixed function path but the I believe the shader paths are just as fast.

neneboricua
I think shaders use the GPU or graphics processor. If dor some reason your GPU is faster or more efficient than your CPU, or if your CPU is tied up doing other stuff, the shader will run faster.
It all depends on how efficient and optimized your shader code is. Also, it depends on how advanced and consuming the effects you are doing are. Sometimes, the FF pipeline will outperform your custom shaders. But if you do a good job with them, you may be able to outperform the FF pipeline.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Mind you Splinter Cell uses shaders all the time outside night vision as well. It is probably faster to render in night vision as lighting shaders are prbably shorter and they might get away with changing textures less considering it much of it all looks the same.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement