Good sources on game design

Started by
3 comments, last by gspdriver 20 years, 1 month ago
I am looking for some good sources/articles/examples on game design. I am currently designing a physics and game engine. My physics is sound, but I am just looking for some pointers on coding techniques or design patterns to use. I am considering Singleton classes, and the Game Objects register themselves to the engine. The engine passes info via Handlers. Maybe this is the right way or not. Any pointers would be helpful, and examples would be better. Also if you have articles to read that would be nice.
Advertisement
What you''re talking about is software design/engineering, not game design. They''re related and there''s a lot of overlap, of course, but not the same thing. Game design is about what kind of game you want to make, software design is about how to make that game.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
quote:Original post by Flarelocke
What you''re talking about is software design/engineering, not game design. They''re related and there''s a lot of overlap, of course, but not the same thing. Game design is about what kind of game you want to make, software design is about how to make that game.
Forgive me, but I think that description may be a tad haphazard to pass off to newbies. Don''t want to give them the wrong idea. I''d say Game Design is about much more than ''What Kind of Game You Want to Make.'' It''s about how the game works, the way the game affects the user, the way the user interacts with the game, the story (characters, settings, etc), and a whole slew of other things that are very much related to the making of the game.

Software design and engineering are separate aspects of game development -- software design is designing how the program will technically be developed and work, software engineering (basically) is something of a bridging of software design and programming.

But yeah, the O.P. needs info on software engineering, not game design.
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."
Moved.
The Enginuity articles here on gamedev

Use this link to browse the books and GameDev gets a piece of the profits if you buy through our links

Game Architecture and Design
- Under Game Design, and covers both techinical and non-techinical aspects

Game Programming Gems I, II, & III (4 out yet?)
- Sweet Snippets of the publication world

3D Game Engine Design
- The purple book (you know it''s good when it owns a color)

UML Distilled
- An introduction to UML (the one by Martin Fowler)

I''d urge you to reconsidering using a singleton. 90% of the time I have used a global variable, static data, and/or singeltons I have regretted it. I assume you''ve read Design Patterns, otherwise this is the de facto book on OO patterns.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement