Madonna & Visual Studio

Started by
9 comments, last by PugPenguin 20 years, 1 month ago
... a bit of a strange question (not complaining, just wondering) but I''ve been wondering about this for like 10 years or so, since resource editor appeared alongside MFC. It''s not a big issue so I never bothered asking, but might as well while I remember again. You know in Visual studio resource editor for icons and such, a color palette pops up on the right side? Why is that color selection so crap? For a start, by default it presents itself like a DOS paint program from the 80s written by a hobby programmer. It''s been like this all this time, I remember the visual c++ on some 20 floppy disks ages ago that also came with some 16 color palette for icons. Fair enough in those days. Now it''s 2004 with 7th edition of VS, and I''m thinking, why is it still lame? I''ve always used a 3rd party paint program to make a resource then cut & pasted into Visual Studio so it''s a trivial issue (particularly because visual studio is a programming environment), but surely I can be forgiven in questioning why, with their $60 billion capital and bundling free MS Paint in Windows for a decade, MS still hasn''t made VS palette a little more interesting, like 32 bit color spectrum directly on the front panel? We''re now marching forward to 22nd Century. We''re landing robots on Mars, PCs are becoming 64 bit, James Bond is a living fossil, Windows is actually a powerful gaming platform, Nelson Mandella is an aging old man, people in developed countries are too fat, Sony is a formiable game console company, Liza Minelli is fully plasticated, noone remembers how to squeeze extra 100k out of conventional memory, animals can be cloned, Madonna has gone through her 100th reinvention, Lord British is no longer known, mobile phones are smaller than your palm, everyone knows Afganistan is a country, CDs are no longer cool, Visual Studio has an incredible context help now and Sharon Stone is becoming infertile, yet Visual Studio Resource Editor Palette still presents itself as a 16 color palette that an 80s Amiga owner would laugh at. Has anyone else wondered about this? And why this is so?
Advertisement
because microsoft is either too lazy to fix it, or they want to make you suffer.

also you forget: the world''s most powerful leaders are named bush, dick, and collin [powell].
I eat heart attacks
Prehaps its a bit of the old copy ''n paste syndrome?

bangz.
ROFLMFFAO!!!!

Hehehe... Umm, I haven't messed around with the resource editor just a whole lot, but while the palette seems to be limited to 16 color selections, you can create images with various color depths. In fact, just to make sure, I opened my current project, created a new Bitmap resource and then set it to True Color in the properties window. The number of color selections didn't change, and in fact the colors stayed the same as well. But from the Image menu I was able to access a color picker to create custom colors...

Still, a good post... great fun to read! :D

Also, only having 16 selections in the current palette could be a pain, but for serious image editing, I guess I wouldn't use the resource editor... Still, it seems that you can save and load a palette as well.

Rattlehead

Edit: In case you're wondering, I'm using VS.NET

[edited by - Rattlehead on March 24, 2004 8:29:05 PM]
Actually, I think there is a fundamental reason that it only supports 16 colors by default (the default Windows 16 color palette). It is to help ensure, that when you make a 16 color resource with that editor, that it uses the Windows 16 color palette. And every icon requires at a minimum a 16 color version of the icon for any app that uses it to meet the Windows logo requirements.
quote:Original post by PugPenguin
Lord British is no longer known

::cries::
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by krez
Lord British is no longer known

::cries::

now now, Exult is thy friend!
ultima VI, the best game ever! By my brother''s standards anyway. Endless numbers of hours swapping disks, Hexing the saved games to get that 255th glass sword, corrupting disks on purpose to mess up the map and get to those unreachable areas, slaying Lord British himself, looting his precious rings, only to find him a few hours later sitting pretty on his throne, the pointless quests, getting tanked with fortified wine, talking crap to strangers, breaking an entry and stealing their meagre possessions as soon as they turned the corner, riding horseys, wipping out a whole fortified city! the peasans yelling for help! The crawling pace of the game, even on a nippy 386DX... the 16 colors and lovely 3 channel tunes blasting out of my Tandy. ha! they don''t make games like that any more

Made my brother buy a secondary floppy, and an extra 256 kb of ram

Everything is better with Metal.

...Lord British is no longer known...
Feh! Ego did him in; a certain contemporary of his known for creating amazing graphics technology is still worshipped by pimply-faced youth the world over.

(Mastaba is correct, btw.)
quote:Original post by oliii
slaying Lord British

Why would you do that? I think it was in VI that you could put a bag next to LB, and then push LB towards the bag, and he''d end up inside. You could then pick up the bag, carrying it with yoru, and taking LB out whenever you needed healing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement