Future of Game programming...

Started by
30 comments, last by snyp 20 years, 1 month ago
What will be the future of DirectX or OpenGL and what programming languages will be used... opinions... I heard some time ago that in the future graphics cards will not use either interfaces but use something else... DUNNO
Actual Linux penguins were harmed in the making of this message.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by snyp
What will be the future of DirectX or OpenGL and what programming languages will be used... opinions... I heard some time ago that in the future graphics cards will not use either interfaces but use something else... DUNNO

I''m pretty sure that in the near future DirectX will cost big bucks and we''ll all have to empty are piggy banks or switch to OpenGL (unless you already use it of course). So get DX9 SDK while you still can...

But in the distant future, I''m sure that C/C++ will be replaced with a highly optimized game programming specific scripting language that will make game programming very easy, cost effective, and highly productive. It''s like anything else, as time goes on technology builds upon it self and makes every task that much easier. I predict (don''t hold me to it) that there will be highly advanced and versatile WYSIWYG editors that will probably make "game programming" a thing of the past (or present o_0).
quote:Original post by DIRECTXMEN
I'm pretty sure that in the near future DirectX will cost big bucks and we'll all have to empty are piggy banks or switch to OpenGL (unless you already use it of course). So get DX9 SDK while you still can...

Hahahaha... good one.
quote:
But in the distant future, I'm sure that C/C++ will be replaced with a highly optimized game programming specific scripting language that will make game programming very easy, cost effective, and highly productive. It's like anything else, as time goes on technology builds upon it self and makes every task that much easier.

What would make a scripting language game programming specific? Seems like a bit of a waste to limit the capabilities of a language to just games. I can see a lot of game programming being done in Java, though.
quote:
I predict (don't hold me to it) that there will be highly advanced and versatile WYSIWYG editors that will probably make "game programming" a thing of the past (or present o_0).

We've got those already, but they don't seem to enjoy much popularity.

[edited by - twix on March 24, 2004 12:01:49 AM]
quote:Original post by twix
I can see a lot of game programming being done in Java, though.
quote:
I predict (don''t hold me to it) that there will be highly advanced and versatile WYSIWYG editors that will probably make "game programming" a thing of the past (or present o_0).

We''ve got those already, but they don''t seem to enjoy much popularity.

[edited by - twix on March 24, 2004 12:01:49 AM]

I really don''t see major game programming done in java (ie. like warcraft 3, half life 2, doom 3 type games) but I do see alot of small online games done in jave tho.
quote:Original post by snyp

The question isn''t a matter of what graphics cards USE, it''s a matter of what hardware features the APIs support. As long as the standards are up to date, drivers that work with these APIs will be written. If someone rolls out an API that''s superior to DirectX or OpenGL (unlikely), the two may be abandoned.

Also, if (more like when) there are drastic changes in computer architecture, these APIs may be scrapped in favor of something with a cooler name, designed for the new architecture from the start.
quote:Original post by 3dmodelerguy
I really don't see major game programming done in java (ie. like warcraft 3, half life 2, doom 3 type games) but I do see alot of small online games done in jave tho.

Actually, when I said that I was specifically thinking of cellphones. If Longhorn is popular, C# will probably take over as the primary game development language on the PC since I've been told that unmanaged code will take a speed hit on that platform. With Microsoft pushing C# so hard, there'll be no justification for not using it.

[edited by - twix on March 24, 2004 12:14:11 AM]
quote:Original post by twix
What would make a scripting language game programming specific? Seems like a bit of a waste to limit the capabilities of a language to just games. I can see a lot of game programming being done in Java, though.

Have you ever taken a look at Blitz3D? It handles all of the mundane/trivial/monotonous/etc. work that comes with the lower level languages such as C/C++.

Games are big biz. And I can see a language dedicated to game programming becoming very popular. It could have built in objects and types that we all have to create anyway when using C/C++. It could also have a "standard library" that would essentially be a game engine at your disposal. It could even have genre specific libraries like the MMOG lib.

quote:
We''ve got those already, but they don''t seem to enjoy much popularity.

But they''re not "highly advanced and versatile". Think about it, a WYSIWYG that is capable of putting together HALO 3 in a matter of weeks... But we are talking about the distant future, here.
To predict what the future will hold you should look at what has happened from the past to the present. Programming is a hell of a lot easier, but video games are way more complex. It will probably continue like this.

Heck, maybe programming will become so easy that anyone can do it. You could make another Half-Life with nothing more then time, patience, and a little over a week of programming experiance.
quote:Original post by JonahB

Heck, maybe programming will become so easy that anyone can do it. You could make another Half-Life with nothing more then time, patience, and a little over a week of programming experiance.

True that.

quote:I''m pretty sure that in the near future DirectX will cost big bucks and we''ll all have to empty are piggy banks or switch to OpenGL (unless you already use it of course). So get DX9 SDK while you still can...

Actually when Microsoft first released Game SDK (Direct X was called this at first) they tried to charge $500 for access to it. They changed their minds.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement