Dx Tutorials

Started by
19 comments, last by jimmynelson 20 years, 1 month ago
Would anyone be interested in some Simple DX tutorials? I have written a couple for friends to avoid answering the same questions mutiple times (how to read VB is one I have answered at least 10 times... so now I can just send a zip with the tutorial). The tutorials will also act as a refresher for me to relearn alot of these concepts (and hopefully learn them better). I will try to go through my process of writing a really generic 3d engine through simple tutorials... Also rather than write tutorials based on what I feel is needed, I would be interested in input as well. As of now I have: -VB and Index buffer read write -Simple 3d math stuff (moving objects) -I just finished a modified Dx9 tutorial (the tiger mesh one) which avoids duplicate textures -A camera class - a simple floating camera based on Dx Inputs I plan on doing: (hehe writing the simple ones I can do 3-4 in an hour these will take awhile... ) -progressive meshes -HLSL -collisions -frustrum culling -AABB trees, Octrees -simple physics -animation skinning -networking If you are interested send me an email and I will keep you updated, if enough are interested I will upload it... sleep123@hotmail.com
Advertisement
How bout a good DX9 ID3DXSprite tutorial (many of them out there are for DX8). Also I would be interested in an explanation to go along with it of what "batching" does it do? Does it minimize texture switching? etc.

"Good code will come and go, but bad code sticks around."

p.s. Also a comprehensive lighting demo would be nice... materials vs. diffuse vertex colors vs textures vs specular with each of the lighting types (spot, point, etc.). Also what's with "emissive" colors that apparently glow as if they had light on them but don't emit light? I'm envisioning keeping the lighted objects very simple (possibly just a square or cube, maybe rotating if necessary). Showing shadowing effects would be nice as well. (are there any built in?)

[edited by - TreborZehn on March 25, 2004 1:24:28 PM]
"Good code will come and go, but bad code sticks around."
The tutorials will build up slowly. Attempting to cover the basics. So point sprites are good, simple lighting is good, but shadows are bad. Shadows done right are a fairly complex idea and if you are having trouble with ID3DXSprite trust me you don''t wanna deal with shadows yet. But I will will eventually try to bring the tutorials there.
I''m in bad need of some animation skinning tutorials that encapsulate the mesh and animation stuff in a nice class so that it can be used for several meshes at the same time. This is something that I have been unable to find and get to work. Especially when it comes to switching between animations.
_________________________ www.leXor.net
I will try to cover that, there is alot of stuff. So it might be mostly paraphrasing other tutorials and giving a basic class with alot of comments.
quote:Original post by jimmynelson
The tutorials will build up slowly. Attempting to cover the basics.

If you want to cover the basic and i mean way basics you will have to start with creating the window, primitives, etc.
all of the way basics, you can cover by yourself... there is a billion examples... by basics I mean the basics of dx9 game development
awesome that could be really helpful
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by jimmynelson
The tutorials will build up slowly. Attempting to cover the basics.

If you want to cover the basic and i mean way basics you will have to start with creating the window, primitives, etc.

Why? Its been done on almost every dev site out there. If you need to know how to create a window check out some of them or buy a book on windows programming. Covering the things in jimmynelson''s post would be much more useful since less people know how to do it and few places actually bother to update their tutorials long enough to get that far.
Thanks for the info. I will post a link here later tonight. I will probably use tripod for hosting although I am not sure what there policy is on storing source code. So hopefully if all goes well I will be using them and have it up around 10-11 pm EST. If not tomorrow afternoon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement