Alternatives to dying

Started by
14 comments, last by boolean 20 years, 1 month ago
I played a text adventure once where you died near the start of the game. You were given the option of restarting, reverting to a save or quiting as was usual for the game type (it used a system called tads and this was a standard thing). Anyway when you restarted (it was the start after all so no save and no real desire to quit) and you went to the area where you died, the description of the location said that your dead body was there on the ground this freaked me out bigtime. I ended up dying aaround six times in that game.
GO TO MY WEBSITE.GO NOW.Oh wait I''m not Jesse Custer. Real Life Sux.
Advertisement
It all depends on the story itself as to what your alternatives are. For example, I was once working on a story where the main character was caught in a time loop - whenever the player died, the time loop would reset and all the people he had talked to and events he had set in motion would be undone. The idea being the player had to use these loops to test different methods of play and find the solution to what was causing the loops and thus escape.

As no-one here knows what your story is about, any suggestions we make will be wild guess style suggestions and chances are will have ver little bearing on your story. As you can see, the majority of the options listed have all been fantasy based - what if your story is cyberpunk?

So we could do with more background before we could really suggest some useful alternatives.
------------------------------------------[New Delta Games] | [Sliders]
I forgot the name of the movie but it had denzel washington and the husband from rosannane as two cops. The bad guy was a demon/spirit that basically could possess anyone. When his host body died, he could only possess someone within a certain range, if no one was in that range then he would die. It would change your gameplay dynamic somewhat but interesting (and easy) concept to implement.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

quote:Original post by Infinisearch
I forgot the name of the movie but it had denzel washington and the husband from rosannane as two cops. The bad guy was a demon/spirit that basically could possess anyone. When his host body died, he could only possess someone within a certain range, if no one was in that range then he would die. It would change your gameplay dynamic somewhat but interesting (and easy) concept to implement.

Maybe "Fallen" ?

There is a PlayStation game where the main character is telling the story you''re playing, so if he dies, he says "No, that couldn''t happen that way..." and then the game is restored in the previous screen/ room/ checkpoint/ saved game/ whatever. Here, its name is "A Sangre Fría"; but I don''t know the original title (sorry!). That could be a good idea.

theNestruo

Syntax error in 2410
Ok
theNestruoSyntax error in 2410Ok
Incidently, the whole, "No wait, that didn''t happen. Let me start again..." thing was also used in the latest Prince of Persia. I like it... the prince narrates the game as you play it.
In a sci-fi game, you could have nanomachines that rebuild your body (this would also explain regenerating health). Or if you play as a robot, you could be rebuilt after you die.

--------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down...
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement