Slackware!

Started by
18 comments, last by BradDaBug 20 years ago
quote:Original post by BradDaBug

3. The Gnome terminal doesn''t display the current path in the prompt like Red Hat did
4. I installed Flash and now want to uninstall it!! BADLY!
9. DHCP daemon isn''t running at startup, so I have to manually run it so that my machine gets an IP address for the network.
10. When Gnome starts up, the menu bar appears and disappears many times, then finally doesn''t come back. In the console there''s lots of messages over and over that say this:

3 :
Put this in ~/.bashrc and you get a nice prompt like this [user@host][working directory]$

export PS1=''[\u@\h][\w]$''

More info here

9 : run netconfig and select DHCP

"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Advertisement
Yeah, I was about to say just run netconfig. It can''t get any simpler than that.

http://chaos.webhop.org
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
13. poweroff doesn''t power off, it just sits there with "power down" or whatever that last message is. I''d like to get it to go ahead and shut off.

I believe you need to compile in (or have a loaded module of) APM or ACPI in the kernel. You might need to do a recompile if you compiled it yourself, or have your system load the apm or acpi module. One or the other.
quote:
15. I can''t access the Windows partition as a regular user. Permission denied. I''ve fixed this problem many times before off other installs, but I can never remember what I did.

I think you can hack /etc/fstab for this. "man fstab"

Image loads when I''m offline.The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.

My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
13. I had this problem once. The first answer I got here worked.

15. I also had this problem. Change your line in /etc/fstab to something like this (you may need to change it slightly for your drive):

/dev/hda1 /mnt/c ntfs ro,auto,users,umask=0000 1

I''m afraid I''ve never experienced your other problems still left.

Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)
Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Nice distro. Is the one I use.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
If I recall correctly, shutting down as a regular user is not a problem with Slack provided that you''re running in the runlevel that starts an XDM (usually KDM or GDM) by default. In that case, you just go to shutdown/reboot either in _DM or in KDE/GNOME/whatever. If this doesn''t work, I''d suggest setting up sudo if you don''t really want to edit very many config files. That way ANYTHING you need to run as root, you can just type ''sudo do_whatever'' and you don''t have to login as root ever again (or type the root password using su).
16: Go root. chmod +s /sbin/halt; chmod +s /sbin/reboot
Advice like that is asking for a security breach. Be very careful about what programs you set the sticky bit on.

[edited by - Doc on March 31, 2004 12:42:50 AM]

Debian = Slack + Real Package Manager + a large repository

Arch = Debian + extremely up to date packages + pacman which is better than apt-get + i686 optimization which makes it..FAST + allowing a simple base install which makes things easier to handle + being better
Um..
Are you being paid to promote Arch or something?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement