doing an editor

Started by
9 comments, last by osh 20 years ago
Hi! I''m starting to develop my new 3d engine and I need to do map editor for it. The question is how to handle all the windows/menus/buttons and so on... I have ever worked in SDL even I program only for win32. So how can I make the editor without learning much win32 api? I want to concentrate mainly on developing the engine/editor features not the win GUI. Thx
Advertisement
Platform independent gui toolkits
Tk: Requires you to learn another language.
Qt: Requires an expensive license on windows.
MrEd: part of MzScheme; requires you to use a good language.

wxWidgets : Probably your best bet for a non dotNet gui toolkit on windows for C++ where you don''t have to pay. (And the only one I haven''t used).
wxWindows is a very good tool, easy to use and quite easy to learn. It also uses native formats so the GUI widgets you use will look like they are suppose to on that system.
Windows Forms.
Just curious, but does TK support skinnable applications? I was going to develop my own framework for this because I failed to fined it anywhere. Thanks
quote:Original post by PaulCesar
Just curious, but does TK support skinnable applications? I was going to develop my own framework for this because I failed to fined it anywhere. Thanks
To my understanding, no; but Qt does. You subclass the QStyle class and Bob''s your uncle. More...
osh I''ve been doing the same as well, I''ve got some of the win 32 stuff done already,- been working on it for the last 1 1/2 months. maybe we can share? Let me know, thanks.
Thx all for your input!
I have tried to start with wxWidgets, but I've been unable to get it working. But I'll try again.
My new question is, because I don't need multiplatform support for editor, if there are some alternatives to win32 (->only for win).

quote:osh I've been doing the same as well, I've got some of the win 32 stuff done already,- been working on it for the last 1 1/2 months. maybe we can share? Let me know, thanks.

Actually, I don't have any code yet (this GUI thing takes all my attention), so I have nothing to share.

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm using C++ ...

[edited by - osh on April 4, 2004 12:27:21 PM]
quote:Original post by flangazor
MrEd: part of MzScheme; requires you to use a good language.

LOL! Best quote ever!
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Windows Forms.

Listen to this man.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement