On which / how many systems is opengl available?

Started by
1 comment, last by ube 20 years ago
hi, i know that nvidia and ati provide opengl drivers for their cards. But i heard microsoft removed software opengl drivers from windows. My question is, how many card manufacturers (other than ati and nvidia) provide opengl drivers. And how high is the probability that opengl is installed on any given system (since win98). ube. P.S: Is there a software LGPL opengl driver?
Advertisement
All comercially available video cards have drivers for OpenGL and all commercially available versions of Windows supports OpenGL. This may change with "Longhorn", Microsoft''s next major version of Windows. At that point, the ARB may have to consider releasing an official redistributable library similar to DirectX. Either that, or video card manufacturers will have to include one in their drivers.
-Ostsol
afaik every graphic chip/card maker provides opengl support in their drivers and frankly with the amount of games which use the Quake3 engine it would be stupid not to.
iirc WinXP on a default install only has Software OpenGL for version 1.1.

Mesa is a good, upto date, software version of OpenGL, however its not LGPL, it uses the MIT-style License so it can work with XFree, has to how close to LGPL this is i dont know

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement