Will a experienced c++ programmer teach me how to program?

Started by
8 comments, last by TannMann 20 years ago
Im in desperate need of learning how to program/script in c++ code.Any help would be greatly appreciated.email is lilpanther12@hotmail.com or contact me on AIM at Mysterman643 or msn at lilpanther12@hotmail.com
Willing to work!
Advertisement

go buy a C++ book and either beat yourself with it or read it

or

go the trial and error route

or

go take a course somewhere

or

give up

there is no way you will learn to program in C++ in a short time period especially since u seem to have no experience with any other programming languages.
quote:I''m in desperate need to learn how to program in C++. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My e-mail is lilpanther12@hotmail.com or I can be contacted on AIM at Mysterman643 or on msn at lilpanther12@hotmail.com
C++ at About.com. I recommend a book such as C++ Primer, 3rd Ed. It''s on Amazon somewhere. I''d look it up, but I''m not going to.
The first program that I think any programmer out there (including myself) in the language that they first learned is:

#include <iostream>int main (){    std::cout << "Hello, World!!!" << std::endl;    return 0;}

Now you can build upon that. On a serious note I first learned programming in a grade 10 class in high school (a little later then some people on this forum). But to be truthful I hated it to begin with now I can''t get enough of it.

I really can''t recommend any beginner prgramming books as I learned all the little things in class and bought more advanced books. Well I hope it is a start.

Richard Dickerson

Pikestriker Games

"Kids you tried hard and failed miserably, lesson learned never try" - Homer Simpson
Richard DickersonPikestriker Games "Kids you tried hard and failed miserably, lesson learned never try" - Homer Simpson
quote:
Original post by Pikestriker
I really can''t recommend any beginner prgramming books as I learned all the little things in class and bought more advanced books. Well I hope it is a start.

I started programming in the 8th grade. A book I would recommend is Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days. It does a good job in explaining different aspects of C++.

But Pike is right. A programming class will make you learn C++ as if it was a second language.
"Not all who wander are lost."- J.R.R. Tolkien
Check out ''Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days'' at http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/
It is what me and my team are learning on.

Also, make sure you have a good compiler, we use Bloodshed Dev-C++

As to teaching you how to program...I am not an experienced programmer in C++ only in QBasic.

"The fell winds blow,
The darkness grows,
And I, I stand alone."
"The fell winds blow,The darkness grows,And I, I stand alone."
You could learn C...

/* this is a C style comment, the compiler ignores this */#include <stdlib.h> /* load the libraries that are needed */#include <stdio.h>int main() /* main() is always required, and has an interger             return type (int). */{  int a; /* creates a variable of type int (an interger - does          not contain any decimal point - a whole number -          variables hold values - they can be numbers (of type          int, float, double, etc.), characters (char, wchar_t,          etc.), strings (char str[], etc.), and so on. */    printf("Enter a value: "); /* prints to the screen */  scanf("%d", &a); /* scans for a value, and puts it into a - the                   & has to do with pointers, don't worry about                    that now.*/  prinft("Your value is %d.\n", a); /* places a where %d is */    system("PAUSE"); /* waits for a keypress before exiting */    return 0; /* returns 0;, any other value would mean an error             had occured - you'll learn about that later. */}

Edited the commenting a few times. Left a bunch of comments out so I had to go back and edit it again... and again. I haven't slept in a while.

Anyway, I like C personally, and it's a bit simpler to learn than C++, but C++ is still a very good language, but I find C more fun to work with. That and SDL (libsdl.org) is written in native C. SDL is a great place to start down the game programming road once you're done of learning C or, if you so choose to do so, C++.

Good luck.

[edited by - Drevay on April 7, 2004 7:06:13 PM]

[edited by - Drevay on April 7, 2004 7:07:28 PM]

[edited by - Drevay on April 7, 2004 7:12:29 PM]

[edited by - Drevay on April 7, 2004 7:13:04 PM]

[edited by - Drevay on April 7, 2004 7:15:34 PM]

[edited by - Drevay on April 7, 2004 7:18:00 PM]
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Yes, "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" is great. That''s what I learned C++ from. Unfortunately, after reading it, I knew pretty much everything taught in my first CS class. I started really learning program in highschool, and I can program as well as anyone in my college now. You don''t need to start early to get really good really fast. Just find good resources and push yourself to learn it.
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
Not to dishearten you but desperation almost always implies impatience, unless you mean desperate as in life-threatening, and impatience will not assist your learning.

Just take your time TannMann, if you really want to become a good programmer then you must spend a couple of years studying programming and computer theory in general. I know it''s hard at the moment because you want to make a cool MMORPG or a mod of a game or somthing, but these goals are not attainable without hard work and study.

As for your request of a tutor, I cannot help you but there are a million and one c++ tutorials on the internet, I''m sure you can google for them.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement