My DOC - The future of RPGs

Started by
129 comments, last by dwarfsoft 23 years, 4 months ago
nicba: I will read your post fully when I am not so rushed, but about the font? It is size 10 (which was normal) and I have had no problem viewing it... Is it just that you are running on a superly oversized monitor or something? I have checked on 800x600 and it looks fine...

Actually, just checked it on SunOS, and it is a little small... Might be due to the fact that I only managed to save it off a backup... Will endevour to fix up for HTML version...

Just note that as of this morning, the new file went up (ie, 6 hours ago by my time) so if anybody downloaded it before then, they most likely ended up with the 6000 word version (a few thousand behind ).

Thanx all for your responses. Note that I am particularly trying to expand the topics, so more topic material would be nice

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Buster

The doc seems like so much Ivory Tower BS to me. Are you really going to produce a game with that? If so, how are you going to make sure:

1. that it''s still a game
    2. that it''s fun

hehe. You have a way with words. So what if we''re intellectually masturbating? We may just hit on something even better! So much better that it:

1. Is still a game
2. Is even more fun.

=====Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
quote:Original post by nicba

OK, Im reading the doc right now. It''s pretty late so we''ll se how long you manage to hold my attention (and keep me awake). But I''ll comment on the text as I go:

It''s good to have some feedback. At least it lets me know what I need to change/add and what is good as is. . I am kind of preoccupied, so I will add as I read through your message

quote:

1) Font Size:

Your HTML version didn''t work so I''m reading the RTF version. Do something about the font size! I had to increase it several times to get it readable.

I already said about this. It is in size 10, but I will increase it for the next upload. Appologies for this.

quote:
2) NPC''s:

I''ve recently finished System Shock 2 and it was an awesomew experience. But there wasn''t really any NPCs! Every time you found another person they where always dead. All "contact" was performed by replaying Audio Logs left behind by the dead and and sometimes (audio) Emails recieved from other people. But still you never relly felt alone in the game and I think the key to this achievement was that all the "communication" was always "in context" with what you very doing. Example: on straying from your task to explore some not relevant area you first got a warning and then an email saying something like this: "I hope you enjoyed your little burst of disobedience. Now get back on your task servant!". Another thing was that the Audio Logs found laying about was very clever written and some of them even contained rumors about your progress. Example "I''ve heard that someone on the 5th floor is fighting back too. He managed to restart the elevators". My point is that you don''t always need advanced AI to get the right result. Simple means may do the trick. Seeing newspaper acticles, TV shows or letting NPC''s tell rumors of something the player did previosly is very revarding and will let the player feel that his/hers actions matters and has consequenes.

Sounds like a good game. I really would like to see it now. But something that I don''t think that I cover in the doc is that most things really depend on how you implement them. I have just got a bad outlook based on the majority of games that I have played. Unreal (if you ever bothered actually playing the single player) had messages that you picked up on your translator whenever you went past a dead body (or message likely area ) and I thought it was really well done. In RPG''s though, you really need to interact with the town at some point. Maybe you could make it easier by making the town ignore the player, at least until they acheive something... More for the doc

quote:
3) Conversing with NPC’s, “click here for this quest”:

I think you have a good point in this paragraph. I''ve seen this done somewhat in the old Fallout where you could click the "Ask" button and type in a subject. But it useually just resultet in a lot of "I don''t know about that" messages. To make this work propperly I think you need to make some initial vocabulary for the NPC but also make the vocabulary able to "grow" by an in-game-algorithm. So when the story progresses and something happends in the general area of the NPC''s they would start to find out about it and be able to respond (somewhat) intelligent to questions about the new situation.

Most games with any conversation in them usually use this method. Ultima (up to the numbers that I have played at least) have used this. You can always randomise the "I don''t know" response, or allow riddle answers. That way they might or might not know what it is, but you can''t really tell because you are trying to figure out the riddle

quote:
4) Murder based experience or “End Goblin Genocide”:

I think you might want ot add a reference to Ernest W. Adams here. In one of his excellent monthly articles he wrote a "Letter from a Dungeon" (I think that was also the title of the article, try find it on gamustra or ask me for a link) and complained about that running around slaying monsters and stealing from their dead bodies wasn''t very heroic.

I should read it. I think I saw it go through the features. I will check gamasutra for it. Thanks for the tip. But most of the body of that came from the discussion here "End Goblin Genocide" as well as a fair bit of my own personal view... anyway, I will put in that reference, and see if I can expand it. Landfish has already stated that it didn''t really hit the mark, but considering the small relative size of the paragraph in respect to the size of that post, I think it would be a little difficult to clearly define the point.

quote:
5) “Learning through death sucks…” the advent of the save game:

You''re right about this one but saved games are necersarry because CRPG''s are useually too long to be completed in one "gaming session". You need to be able to save the game and take a break. Also it is very frustrating too lose ones progress just because you made a mistake or got unlucky in a battle. To relieve the "Save Game Syndrome" you described I think you could do a number of things:
- Pay (in advance) some clerics at a temple to ressurect you. If you die later you will be ressurected by the clerics at the temple and can continue the quest (maybe after reclaiming your inventory from the place of death). It would be less "dangerous" to die and therefore not necersarry to save so oftent.
- Remove all "suddent deads". Always give the player a warning before stepping into a dangerous situation. No traps that suddently kills you without warning (unless you KNOW the area to be dangerous and filled with traps).
- Always allow the player to "back out" of a dangerous situation and to return later with better health or equipment. Let the player be able to flee from most or all battles.

*sigh*, It seems that my idea did not really get through. I am not saying "eliminate the save", but rather that the current position be saved, and then continued from that point. You cannot choose to load games, you can only load characters. It really comes back to pen-and-paper RPGs where every action is saved, and death is final (although - due to the other paragraphs, it doesn''t need to be ).

quote:
6) RPG’s and Character aging, and the implementation of timing in games:

Well, I think aging could be usefull in some online games with persistent worlds very you return and play again and again. But in single-player CRPG''s the story very rarely spans longer that a couple of months (or years at most). Aging effects would not be noticable in such a short time. Also, remember that many of these characters are not humans but elves, orges and other fantasy creatures with a differend life-span and aging pattern. And in many fantasy-books powerfull mages is oftent granted a very long life by their strong powers.

It was just an idea. If you were going to have a game that spanned that far, then it could be possible. It was also there really to introduce the reincarnation and possession ideas . This paragraph was written before I mentioned them in other paragraphs. I don''t really know where most of them are located (because I move them around to suit my preferred order) but I think that those references follow this paragraph.

quote:
7) Linking eating and sleeping with energy:

I think you need to be a little carefull with the eating and sleeping idead. It very easily degenerates into boring micro-management. In books you don''t constantly hear about characters eating, sleeping or going to the toilet. It''s just not entertaining. Only add it when it is relevant to the story.

The sleeping idea was really more to do with my "Learning Experience" than anything else. The eating would have to be tied in with the "automation scripts" because it is only fun to think about when you are running out of food. You must find the nearest supply. I definitely think that thirst would be interesting ... More to append.. thanx.

quote:
8) Putting the mystery back into magic: When click casting defeats the purpose:

Again, I think you need a reference to Ernest W. Adams. You have practically "stolen" the title of one of his articles. But the idea about "drawing" symbols with the mouse is very good. For a similiar text-based system you might require the player to type in special magical words or series of words. Maybe you could even design a "language" the player can try to learn to create their own combination of symbols/words to get new spells?

Am I referencing him because I have stolen his ideas? or his work? Ideas are free, and I happened to come up with them... But I will reference anyone who contributes. I am sure that if I read through his stuff then it will cause me to contribute more due to thought. If you can''t tell, I don''t like being accused of plagiorism, and I have been adding references left right and centre, so if I miss anyone out, I will then link them to here... at least then I can sort out any of these problems.

About a new language: I think it is a great idea. I have already thought about it (I was also thinking of making the player learn to speak to NPCs with a more defined language ) but I think it is a lot of work if you want something nice. And most players won''t bother learning it and would rather another game... these are things that you have to keep in mind. ... But thanx for the thought...

quote:
9) Automating tasks: How players can implement scripting

Nhaa, I don''t think scripting is a good solution to boring tasks as eating and sleeping. If a task is trivial, tedious and boring better leave it out of the game in the first place.

like I said before... the tasks can become INTERESTING in the event that you are say, running out of your food or water. Sleep isn''t a task that I would implement in a game, unless you could dream, or if it was done somewhat like in Might and Magic.

quote:
10) A new combat system: “Come back or I’ll bite your legs off!”:

This could be interesting. But its hard to design an interface that is easy enough to use to allow this (without making it a tedious task). And it would probably require a turn-based battle system (especially if you are controlling a whole party of characters). Fallout allowed you to make "standard" attacks or "aimed" attacks. When you made a aimed attack you where given a picture of the body of your enemy and you could select an area to attack. If the aimed attack was sucessfully you could criple your oponent (blind him if it was the eyes you damaged).

If you use a system similar to UFO: Enemy Unknow (turn based) you would be fairly well covered. If you wanted real time though, I think that it would just be your level of expertise in that skill on that monster that are determined by the function. Personally, I would like to see the downfall of click''n''kill, but I so far can not see an easy way around it (like I suggested for magic).

quote:
11) Monster Generator:

It would be interesting to apply this principles to make monsters vary even when they are in the same specie. Some goblins would be a bit taller, some a bit fatter, some maybe a bit more brownish than green in their skin colour. Its quite unrealistic that all goblins are exact copies of each other. But I think this is also something I have read about somewhere in Ernest W. Adam''s articles.

That is a better point. Personally, I don''t want to have endless lines of mindless monsters coming at me though. I would prefer if they were all NPC''s or something that had a reasonable AI

quote:
12) Combating PKing. Playing God “…And Justice For All”:

I like the idea of "Karma" and using reincarnation to reward/punish players for their actions. I''m not sure I understands or likes the idea of the virtual “law enforcement agency”. Should they be "all knowing" and just turn upå magically and drag the player away to court without the player having a chance of resisting or escaping? I don''t think that''s such a good idea. I would like some more realism here, so someone have to see what you''re doing (or the dead body left when you killed the other player) and alert the guards. You could be banned an outlaw (free for all) or even get a "dead or alive" reward on you head. Or maybe killing would be more of a religeous matter (along with the reincarnation idea) and you could go to a temple and pray for forgiveness (but the god may get mad an punish you if you do it too oftent).

I loved the Karma idea, but Virtual Law is very limited. I wouldn''t add a virtual law enforcement agency, because I would rather have Karma (because it would fit with the rest of the system) playing on the minions.

quote:
14) My own comments: About Realtime and Gametime.

OK. I will stop reading here and skip the "implementation" and the "learning experience" paragraphs. Maybe I''ll return to at some other time.

Implementation isn''t that interesting, but I like to think that the "Learning Experience" is an interesting read. (Shameless plug)

quote:
Instead I will add a subject (or rather a question) of my own. Gametime vs. Realtime. You have discussed time at some places in the text but never how it should be implemented. Should it be realtime or turnbased? Should there be different time systems when exploring and when battling (only turn-based in battles)? What about multiplayer games or even online games. They can''t be turn-based can they?

I discussed somewhere on Gamasutra that you can simulate turn based by asking for a response within a given timeframe (ie, 1/x of a second ). If they haven''t made a choice, then you just skip to the next and say that they waited their turn. I have not really gone into this discussion because I think that you can have Realtime or Turn based games and they can still be good in their implementation. I might add it though, if you can provide me with any improvements or problems with these systems, then I will surely include them

quote:
What about performing mundane tasks such as sleeping, traveling or training (even with a teacher)? In a single player game you would most likely just accelerate time during these tasks but you can''t really do that without getting "out of sync" in a multiplayer game. So how would you solve this?

I would definitely like to add in NPC''s that follow you around and they could help you out in certain times. I would really like to see someone that is accompanying you run away at the sight of a battle, then you have to fight the battle and go off and find where they went .

quote:
15) My own comments 2: Nice work!

It is really late and I have to stop now. But I have enjoyed reading the document. It sums up most of the things that have been talked about in the Game Design forum here at GameDev. And it was written in a nice easy-to-follow language. Good work!

Regards

nicba

Thanx nicba. Your response has been the most critical and in depth yet. I will check out Gamasutra for that article, and will add in the reference as you suggested. I am intereted on seeing what this guy has said must have some thought patterns the same as me .

The updated doc will be up sometime on the weekend... Cya fer now

Check our site:
quote:Original post by Freakshow

hehe. You have a way with words. So what if we''re intellectually masturbating? We may just hit on something even better! So much better that it:

1. Is still a game
2. Is even more fun.

LOL! It appeared that I didn''t put my disclaimer on the front. Nobody in their right mind would even think of adding all these features. I would add a few, but that is really pushing my limits. Note to all that "The Future of RPGs" is NOT a game design document. It is a document that points out what I see as problems and the way that I see some solutions . It is NOT a design document. It notes my "Learning Experience" in it, but this will be based mainly on the old system (because I understand it so well ).

Check our site:
I''ve read half of it which is pretty spot on, i''ll read the other half this evening. Some diagrams wouldn''t go astray either as most of it is an abreviation an these sorts of things go along way in these circumstances. Just to show what you are really trying to say in certain paragraphs becuase i fear that it would be miscomprehsing to newbies with out a guiding hand through the doc. Have you had it read by a friend?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
How about breeding all races randomly and with some GA everytime you start a new campaign? This would make the game slighty different the second time you play it and so on. The third times you play it all goblins might even have died a mere thousand years ago . Of course the races might continue changing at a slow pace during the course of the game. I know goblins and other monsters should be near to extinction in several games.

The thing I''d really like to see is a pretty much or completley random world with random quests. There wouldn''t even have to be a main plot. Now, if there''s no main plot it wouldn''t be such a disaster if a bunch of NPC''s were killed due to age or killed in action.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous
quote:Original post by dwarfsoft

Am I referencing him because I have stolen his ideas? or his work? Ideas are free, and I happened to come up with them... But I will reference anyone who contributes. I am sure that if I read through his stuff then it will cause me to contribute more due to thought. If you can''t tell, I don''t like being accused of plagiorism, and I have been adding references left right and centre, so if I miss anyone out, I will then link them to here... at least then I can sort out any of these problems.

Im very sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of plagiaism. I''ve read most of the threads in the game design forum and know where you ideas are comming from. I''m just kind of a fan of the articles written by this Ernest W. Adams''s guy and think they deserves to be mentioned.

Here''s the link Ernest W. Adams.

quote:

Implementation isn''t that interesting, but I like to think that the "Learning Experience" is an interesting read. (Shameless plug)

He He I''ve read something about it in some other thread. Maybe I''ll come back to it later.

quote:

I would definitely like to add in NPC''s that follow you around and they could help you out in certain times. I would really like to see someone that is accompanying you run away at the sight of a battle, then you have to fight the battle and go off and find where they went .

Well, that sounds good but it wasn''t really my point by asking these Realtime vs. Gametime questions. Try to take a look at the following link: Role Maker. It''s part of the design document for a Role Maker system that some guy is doing as his master thesis.

Regards

nicba
Don''t worry nicba... I read through his doc and he is a very inspiring person. Seems to have a lot of ideas. I already linked to him in the doc so it should be about right, now. . I thought of a few different topics that I was just going to bring up here.

Horses. How many times do you see modes of transport that you can buy or use in games? I played Might and Magic 7 and they allowed you to "use horses to go here" but they didn''t allow you to ride around on your horse. I would really like to see this in isometric CRPG... Would be muchus coolus

Check our site:
quote:
Horses. How many times do you see modes of transport that you can buy or use in games? I played Might and Magic 7 and they
allowed you to "use horses to go here" but they didn''t allow you to ride around on your horse. I would really like to see this in
isometric CRPG... Would be muchus coolus

Once again I have to mention my beloved Ultima 6 and Ultima 7 . You could actually ride horses in U6 (or kill them for food, you could hunt rabbits and such too) while in U7 they had removed the use of horses you could buy a horse-wagon, you could have ships (you could in U6 too...) and last but not least there was a flying carpet hidden in a dungeon! Oh yes! I always stacked alot of "boxes" on it and kept food supplies, weapons and such on it.

Anyone ever tried killing Lord Brittish with powder kegs, or that cannon?

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous

I''ve only played Console RPGs (FF7 and such) so reading your doc changed the way I think of a lot of aspects of RPGs. Especially the reïncarnation stuff was completely new for me. Here are some notes...

Putting the mystery back in magic:
Your say that magic is being abused, which is true for most RPGs'', also most Console RPGs. Click on some magic, bang, 1000hp damage to enemies...it''s just to easy. I like the way it''s done in Final Fantasy Tactics. Casting spells and summoning monsters takes time in this game, as do certain other actions (like charging and the jump-skill of Lancers). What happens when you summon a monster: enemies will try to kill the one summoning the monster, so you really have to be sure you can avoid most of the attacks. Also, you can lock a spell to a unit or a panel. Units can move away, so if an enemies gets to close to your allies, your spell can damage your allies. But if you lock the spell to a panel, it''s possible you won''t hit any enemies. This means that strategy is VERY important.

I like the idea of casting spells with symbols, but there are other ways to do it. In an old computer game (Feud or something, released in mid-eighties) you can use spells, but in order to use them, you have to mix various herbs. This way, the player can find new spells, but also has to be carefull using the spells, because there''s only a limited amount of herbs.

The only thing I really hate of magic is Magic Points. They are used to limit spell casting during battles, but usually battles don''t take much time so you can use as much magic as you want. I like the way it''s done in FF8 (the idea), but it''s way to easy to get magic, and in the end you don''t even want to use it, because it''s easier to kill enemies by using limit breaks. In a MP-less magic system, spells need to have charge up times or you need items (like herbs in previous example) to cast a spell, so that battles require more strategy.

A new combat system: "Come back or I''ll bite your legs off!"
This idea is at least 10 years old. I saw it first in SD-Snatcher (which is a CRPG by Konami, influenced by "The Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" and it shares a lot of the plot of "Snatcher".) In the battles in this game, you can target the weapons, legs, armour, antennas and such, which requires a bit of strategy to defeat enemies. I would definately like to see such a battle system in other games, because it''s a completely different way of fighting and it''s cool offcourse

Eating/Sleeping:
The only RPG I''ve played where you need to sleep is Seiken Densetsu 3. In this game you need to sleep, because some events only occur at night, and some only at day time. Your doc says you lose energy when you don''t eat or sleep, but I''d say that you become less efficient when you''re hungry or sleepy. This basically means that you can''t even hurt goblins after 2 days without sleep I would say that after one complete day (without eating/sleeping), you can only use 60% of your power, after another day it would be like 20%, then 10% and after that you''re pretty much dead. Okay this is just an example, it''s different in real life. Another problem is, how much real time is one day in the game. If you have to sleep too often, it becomes boring, but if you can play too long without sleeping, it becomes to easy. Automating eating/sleeping is not an option, either you don''t use eating/sleeping in your game or you don''t.

Combating PKing:
Personally I like maxing out my characters stats, but it seems you don''t like it. One way to prevent Power Maxing is to let enemies level up as well, so you won''t have easy battles. Another way is to introduce something like Karma. Like, you can only enter a church or something when you have low Karma. Or you can just eliminate random encounters. Then the designers know what kind of power players have so they can create enemies which are challenging. Or you get less exp/gold when you level up. All these alternatives can be used, but they have to fit the game.

Well, that''s all I could come up with.

--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement