Release build is messing things up

Started by
3 comments, last by timmay314 20 years ago
I''m working on a game that works fine in debug mode, but when I change it to release build, billboarding ceases to function correctly. In debug mode, my explosion billboards always face the viewer like they are supposed to, but when I go to release version they always face forward no matter what. I''m not using the _DEBUG macro anywhere in my program, so I have no idea how anything could possibly be changed by going from debug to release. Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Make sure you initialise and zero all variables.
are you using DXTimer at all? I have noticed sometimes the DXTimer does not work the same in release mode as it does in debug mode. Just a thought

~Guayton
~guyaton
Well, i''m not certain what to say about it. But i do notices that in release mode somethings changes like:
- Liberieas (most of the time i forget to change them)
- vectors can act up (Still don''t know why)
- Error handeling changes (throw, etc. makes trouble sometimes)
- Classes-constructors are slow and some times they create trouble
- Some variables aren''t always available ( i wanted to pass a wHnd, but it didn''t work until i put a useless int between it:S)

Maybe you should try somethings like removing some object like Input, 3D, music and then check if billboarding works.

BTW: Did you get a error of somekind?
----------------------Wow! I'm good! No wait, I'm better than good! I'm Perfect...Nah, just good! Otherwise I wouldn't have to improve-- Wouter Lindenhof --
I found the problem, and it was initializing something (or rather, copying it). I''d accidentally left a member variable out of the copy constructor that was telling it to use the billboarding. Debug apparently initialized it to true without me asking it to, and release didn''t. Thanks for the input.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement