Cube Maps - not supported on some?

Started by
6 comments, last by RaphaelMun 19 years, 10 months ago
I recently had some trouble getting Direct X to do some cubic environment mapping on my laptop computer which uses a Savage IX (yea, it''s old, I know...) but the program wouldn''t let me even create CubeTextures for some reason. After spending about 2 hours trying to figure out why, I transferred the same exact project file and loaded it up on my PC with a GeForce 4 and it worked just fine (very well actually). Are CubeTextures just not supported on some hardware or is it some other problem? Is there a way around it if CubeTextures are not supported? Thanks!!!
Advertisement
Cube maps are not supported on some hardware (pre-TNT class).
You could project a single texture spherically to emulate static cubemapping, however the results can be very coarse, not to mention dynamic mapping.

-Nik

Niko Suni

Open the capsViewer, and take a look. That''ll give you an idea what features are hardware-dependent.

Muhammad Haggag,
Optimize
Bitwise account: MHaggag -

quote:Original post by Coder
Open the capsViewer, and take a look. That''ll give you an idea what features are hardware-dependent.

Better yet, enable View->All Caps option in that program - and see what you''re missing

-Nik

Niko Suni

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but can I safely assume, that ALL blending (both src and destiny) are available on EVERY 3-D card (well, at least on TNT or better)?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
...can I safely assume, that ALL blending (both src and destiny) are available on EVERY 3-D card (well, at least on TNT or better)?

No. A quick look through my caps database shows, among other things, the following:

TNT class cards do not support BLENDFACTOR, either as source or destination blend. Furthermore, they do not support DESTALPHA or INVDESTALPHA as destination blend.

Radeon cards - all generations - do not support SRCALPHASAT as a destination blend.

[edited by - Mattias Welander on April 12, 2004 9:18:02 AM]
Wow, thanks to everyone for the replies
Is there a way to emulate a cube-texture for the mapping rather than doing a spherical for unsupported hardware?
My first try at implementing Cubic Environment Mapping was more manual because I wanted to learn how it would be done explicitly but the texture mapping didn''t work quite right. I think it might have been because I had all of the cube''s faces on one texture and left blanks on the parts. I had it so that I choose a face with the reflection vector''s greatest component and then offset the U-V coords with corresponding to each face but then it seemed to suffer from a problem with overlapping parts of the texture. Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Mattias, I''m trying to find you... I''m from TBT hub and i need your help with FINDCODEC...

Can you contact me at:

macgyver_g12@yahoo.com

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement