General GUI questions

Started by
3 comments, last by Programmer16 20 years ago
I''m designing my gui system and I have a few questions: First, I''ve decided that I''m going to make the gui so that it can''t be moved, which makes for easier code (since I''m the team). I was just wondering if anybody thinks that this is a bad idea (I was figuring something like Baldur''s Gate). Next, I haven''t been able to implement a cursor. Should I go without one or figure out how to do it. I''m trying to use an easy way, but not the easiest. Lastly, is there anywhere I can find graphics for a GUI. /* I use DirectX 9 and C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition) */
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Programmer16
First, I''ve decided that I''m going to make the gui so that it can''t be moved, which makes for easier code (since I''m the team). I was just wondering if anybody thinks that this is a bad idea (I was figuring something like Baldur''s Gate).

Sometimes, corners musy be cut!
If you make a good layout to begin with, there should not be any reason to move things around.

quote:
Next, I haven''t been able to implement a cursor. Should I go without one or figure out how to do it. I''m trying to use an easy way, but not the easiest.

Not having a cursor is like poking around with a knife in the dark. But once you learn how to do it, you''ll have it there for furute reference.
I meant for the input, not the mouse cursor, sorry .

/*
I use DirectX 9 and C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition)
*/
Oh, that cursor.

Yeah, I don''t think it is all that important...

However, having a cursor lets the user correct a typo without having to guess where their letter is going to be inserted.

I wouldn''t see why it would be difficult to have a cursor, considering that it is just a little line, or underscore. Just find where ther current insert position is, and draw a line a few pixles after it. I mean, you do afterall already know where the letters are, being that you had to paint them.
Alright, I see your point. I''m going to try and get it to work.

/*
I use DirectX 9 and C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition)
*/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement