DigiPen

Started by
5 comments, last by Bovine13 20 years ago
I just have a few questions about DigiPen: 1. (This is namely to the people in the gaming industry) Do you find that people from DigiPen are better employees (coders, team players, etc.) than people who go to a regular college and major in computer science, or are they about even? 2. How hard is the workload there? and, 3. Is it worth going (if I want to be a game programmer) Thanks! ~Bovine
Advertisement
I m not in the game industry but I might be able to answer some of your questions because I have seen this topic posted a few times.

2. The workload is extreme

3. In my not so expert opinion I would say you are better of going to a 4 year university due to the high cost of Digipen and the uncertainty of the gaming industry. If you have the skills and talent needed to program games then you are better off working on your own demos that showcase you talents.

just my two cents though...
Here''s the way it is, basically:

Getting into the gaming industry is more about self-motivation than what school''s name is on your degree. No school will give you everything you need to know, but places with game-specific degrees will hold your hand a little bit more than other places. When people get hired into the game industry as programmers, it''s more because they are smart and hard working than because of the school they attended.
You probably wont find very many people who graduated from Digipen in the industry, I''m guessing its because the concept of "school for game development" is a relatively new one.

Having said that, I wouldn''t discourage anybody from going to Digipen. After all, there is no one way to learn the fundamentals of game development, although there are probably a few less expensive ways of doing it.

Also remember that going to Digipen doesn''t guarantee you a break by any means. You have as much chance of being employed as a game programmer, as someone who self taught or worked their way up from quality assurance.
Thanks to all who replied.

If I wanted to get into the gaming industry, but just majored in CS at a regular college, is there anything I might do then to help my chances?

~Bovine

Learn an API? Probally OpenGL abd/or Direct3d. Have you tried to make a game yet? A small demo, perhaps.

I heard its 8h/d and 6d/w at DigiPen. There are other game development schools out there. SMU Guildhall in Dallas, one in Florida, Atlanta, and so on. I read it in an issue of EGM, but I can''t find it right now. I''ll try to find it.

Elben
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a life time."
-Chinese Proverb
WiseElben.com - Experience Wisdom
You must also remember, a lot of 4 year colleges will either have a course or a few courses in game programming, so if you''re interested why not just go to a university that has that sort of course. I know a lot of them are getting it now. Also, you could probably at that university if you figure things out right do a senior design project about game programming - just like digipen has.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement