Interactive Fiction, help?

Started by
5 comments, last by Luctus 20 years ago
< disclaimer > It''s an odd topic that doesn''t seem to fit completely in any specific forum, but I''ll just post here and hope for the best. < /disclaimer > Can anyone point out some resources on implementing an IF engine? commong techniques? It''s an interesting subject and it would be nice to read up on it. -Luctus Statisticly seen, most things happens to other people. [Mail]
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
Advertisement
inform is an interactive fiction engine/compiler thing, which may not be exactly what you are looking for... but you can get the source code, and there is a bunch of resources at the site as well.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
T.A.D.S. is cross platform, has lots of games for it and has a free authors kit if you just want to write your own game. I''m not sure if you want to make a game or re-invent a new IF system for some other reason, re-inventing the wheel shouldn''t be necessary if all you want to do is author a game. I''m not sure but TADS might be open source.

Mark
Sound Effects For Game Developers
http://www.indiesfx.co.uk
You might want to look into natural language processing for the parser. And if you''re thinking about representation of objects, locations, and characters, there are plenty of MUDs out there with downloadable source.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Go have a look at the Z-machine specifications (Inform). Any resource on compiler (especially parsing) or interpreter writing would be appropriate too. Learning about console IO routines would be good too.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Thanks for the clickies guys, they''ll come in handy

-Luctus
Statisticly seen, most things happens to other people.
[Mail]
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
You might also wish to visit the Brass Lantern site, as they have plenty of resources for IF players and writers.

Be sure to check the community section, as it contains links to several other useful sites.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement