games based around the feeling of experiences.

Started by
9 comments, last by Ketchaval 20 years ago
If Shigeru Miyamoto created Zelda around the feelings of exploration that he had when he was a child exploring the fields and hills around his home. Could other games be created to provide a specific ''feeling'' and ''experience'' (or range of feelings).Could our most memorable experiences be hinted at by games?
Advertisement
Miyamoto...hehehehehe
______________________________________________The title of "Maxis Game Designer" is an oxymoron.Electronic Arts: High Production Values, Low Content Values.EA makes high-definition crap.
The first rule of writing is to write about what you know. The same is true for games, making a game based upon your life experinces allows you to create a better game.

-----------------------------------------------------
"Fate and Destiny only give you the opportunity the rest you have to do on your own."
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave
The best way (IMO) to get people nostalgic is not to create experiences that people can relate to, but create worlds that are rich with real-life symmetry (most likely geared toward experiences as a child).

You can''t build every game to provide every experience specifically - but there is only one real world - and it allows people to experience things for themselves. Shape the world and let the player find the experience, not the other way around.

"If you build it, they will come"
______________________________________________The title of "Maxis Game Designer" is an oxymoron.Electronic Arts: High Production Values, Low Content Values.EA makes high-definition crap.
quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
The first rule of writing is to write about what you know.
-----------------------------------------------------

That''s true, but it''s better if you can take your experiences, and expand upon them... as a form of "insight" I guess. Miyamoto never actually explored dungeons, and never actually wielded a sword in battle, but that doesn''t mean he couldn''t create a game that had that stuff in it.
David A. Nusse
I remember reading an interview with the guy who made Mario, and he said that there was a large pipe/tunnel outside his apartment, and he always to afraid to find out what it looked like inside. When he started making mario that was where the insperation of the world itself came from.

Dont you feel smarter now!
boolean, Please tell me you know who Mario''s designer is.
MORE word fom "gran pa"

quote:regarding the comment on limiting the vision of a single individual, i feel it bears noticing that the individuals themselves do not always feel that the constraints of the industry are a burden on their creations. though i can''t say much about wright or moluneaux, i can say with certainty that miyamoto does not think this way. he himself has cautioned that a good team of testers is important because the designer can get too wrapped up in his own ideas to notice flaws in the game itself. the game as art is one aspect, but the game as something people can actually play and enjoy is an equally important part of the whole. A quote from a recent interview with the man:

"I think that, apart from how other people may view it, I personally see what I make as being a product for sale, and not so much as a work of art. When I make a game, it''s full of my own expression but ultimately the objective of the game is to make the user happy, and one thing that I''m required to do is not only create my games but also put them in the market at a time when I think people will purchase them. So while a game may contain some of my own personal expression its ultimate objective is not to convey that expression so much as to make people happy.

Being a game developer requires a lot of artistic talent from the designers, such as creativity and finding your own unique nature and finding a way to put that into a game, but at the same time the ultimate product that they''re putting out is just a product for consumption."

so long as we''re on the topic of art, to paraphrase bullough: if there''s nothing in your work that people can latch onto, to relate to or enjoy, it''s your fault and not the audience''s. when you get too involved in your work to remember that you''re creating something for people to enjoy, you wind up with unplayable pretentious crap. *COUGH*xenosaga*COUGH* miyamoto''s response to a question on how he would work if he could disregard the industry and do whatever he wanted (same interview, even):

"I don''t think what I would create would change much, because what I want to do is create things that are going to make people happy and give them enjoyment. But on the other hand I never go out to the market and say "what game do you want?" and then come back to my office and go to work and try and make that game. That''s because everyone in the market will say "Oh, I want... what''s popular right now"."

in other words, if you have a coherent vision that really brings something good into the field, have realistic goals and expectations, and understand how the relation between artist and audience works, the nuances of the industry can''t really constrain your ideas anyway.

Wise talk. The use of your expression and feeling is needed to make something good, whatever goal you have...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
quote:Original post by NeoMage
Miyamoto never actually explored dungeons, and never actually wielded a sword in battle, but that doesn''t mean he couldn''t create a game that had that stuff in it.
Yeah, but I''ll bet when he was a kid running around in that field, every rabbit was an octorock and every stray dog was a moblin. When I was young, and wandered around in the woods, I''d always imagine that I was hunting dragons, or running from bears, or something. If I made a game about wandering in the woods that featured dragons and bears, it would be based on my experience.

What it comes down to it that he started with an experience that he thought about a lot (adventuring) and then made a (fantastic) video game with the intention of feeling that way when you play it.

That''s a magnificent way to go about game design. Shigeru Miyamoto will always be remembered for him genious.

Should we tell boolean?
OOHHH! I see now.

Shigeru Miyamoto == guy who made Mario.

Yes, fine. Go ahead and make fun of me. I''ll just assume its because of that BLACK LUMP OF COAL YOU CALL A HEART!!!!!

im going to sit in the corner now.....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement