Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Yann L's screenshots

Started by Witchcraven Apr 30, 2004 at 1:32 AM 42 replies 5.4k views
Original Post
Witchcraven
Witchcraven
Does anyone have any copies of yann l''s screenshots? His company does not serve them anymore.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
gamelife
gamelife
try here?
http://membres.lycos.fr/ylmb/images/
Witchcraven
Witchcraven
THANK YOU!
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Ra
Ra
Yann L == GOD

EDIT: I miss him.

[edited by - Azrioc on April 30, 2004 2:39:36 PM]
Ra
DJSnow
DJSnow
www.vtales.com is the website of his old company.

i miss him and his knowledge, too


DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
dwmitch
dwmitch
Pardon my ignorance, as I haven't been in the community long, but why is he gone? Did he pass away or just leave the community?

EDIT: I did a search on his name, but I kept getting an error.

[edited by - dwmitch on April 30, 2004 2:52:02 PM]
300In the land of the proud and freeyou can sell your soul and your dignityfor fifteen minutes on tvhere in Babylon.
Promit
Promit
For various personal reasons, he decided that graphics programming and coding in general were not something he wanted to do with his life anymore, and decided to bid us farewell. I can''t find his good-bye thread, I''m sure someone else can.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
alnite
alnite
quote:
Original post by dwmitch
Pardon my ignorance, as I haven''t been in the community long, but why is he gone? Did he pass away or just leave the community?
He left the community and his programming life. He eventually concluded that programming is no longer his passion and seek for another adventure.
dwmitch
dwmitch
It''s a shame, too. I''ve been looking at the screen shots and they look like photographs. Are those pre-rendered CG shots or in game shots?
300In the land of the proud and freeyou can sell your soul and your dignityfor fifteen minutes on tvhere in Babylon.
alnite
alnite
quote:
Original post by dwmitch
Are those pre-rendered CG shots or in game shots?
In game shots.
dwmitch
dwmitch
Please tell me they''re point and click games (eg. Myst, Beyond Atlantis). If they''re free moving games (ex. Quake) then I''m giving up now, since I''m no good at making textures and I can''t do anything with low poly without textures.
300In the land of the proud and freeyou can sell your soul and your dignityfor fifteen minutes on tvhere in Babylon.
SantaClaws
SantaClaws
Free moving game.

The thread seems to be linked to from this thread, but it says invalid thread, so I guess someone removed it.

I''m really sad to find this out, too, I was gone for the forums for a while, and figured he had stopped posting because of the NDA problems that cropped up in the material system thread. Sad to hear that he''s gone for good. Anyone know what the future of the V-Tales stuff is going to be? I''d love to see that engine in action.
rypyr
rypyr
As far as we all understood it was a game you could freely move about and change your viewpoint (like a FPS, Morrowind, etc). Also understand that while Yann may have been a phenomenal coder, etc, the real power in those screenshots is his team that generated the textures.

Without the artists, those screenshots would not be impressive at all.

Btw, before you flame me, Yann himself stated this in earlier posts. Also, I am a developer, not an artist

Regards,
Jeff


[ CodeDread ]
dwmitch
dwmitch
It seems that photos were used for the bulk of the textures. I do this in rendering, but I''ve avoided it for game use because I didn''t think you could get satisfactory results. Now that I know otherwise I may have to go back to photos.
300In the land of the proud and freeyou can sell your soul and your dignityfor fifteen minutes on tvhere in Babylon.
SantaClaws
SantaClaws
I actually find the texturing lacking in a lot of the screenshots. It''s not so much the art that interested me about Yann''s engine, but what the engine was capable of doing with those art assets.
Coward
Coward
quote:
Original post by SantaClaws
I actually find the texturing lacking in a lot of the screenshots. It''s not so much the art that interested me about Yann''s engine, but what the engine was capable of doing with those art assets.

... and the fact that it did all this realtime...
Don't Temp Fate..
rypyr
rypyr
Actually I only looked at the link provided above after I posted. The original batch of screenshots were strictly from the game (not pictures of skys nor theoretical diagrams). They included one shot of inside the cathedral, one shot of a dragon, one of a female elf in a jungle-like setting, etc.

Does anyone have those complete set of pics somewhere?

I do like those other shots of inside the cathedral, some interesting lighting effects...


[ CodeDread ]
DJSnow
DJSnow
quote:
Original post by Promit
I can''t find his good-bye thread, I''m sure someone else can.


someone is in here, who has a collected "Yann''s greatest threads" in a fancy link connection, in his signature; not sure what the name of this guy was...




DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
gmcbay
gmcbay
I''m not interested in starting a flamewar and I have no specific opinion of Yann, but when I read the past threads, this all seems like a hoax to me. I mean, anyone could come on the board and post amazing pre-rendered quality screenshots and say they are realtime. But with no demo, who is to say they aren''t full of it? And then, just disappearing one day and saying he''s giving up coding? Doesn''t that smell fishy to you? How many people do you know who are amazing programmers at their peak and just decide not to do it anymore? I mean, we all have days when we''re burned out, but there''s a big difference between that and actually quitting..

The whole story smells fishy to me.


Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.