vb books

Started by
4 comments, last by BrassMonkee7381 20 years ago
i am learning visual basic right now and i was wondering if anyone knew of any good beginning vb game programming books and if there is a version of directx for visual basic programmers.
Advertisement
You should get "An Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic 6.0 4th edition" by David I. Schneider

and there is a DX for visual basic you just have to reference it in your project.
I don't have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don't know, but my dad says it alot
Yep, you can use DirectX 7 and 8 in VB projects for sure - I''m not sure about DX9, but I suspect it may be usable in .net. Some decent online VB references:
Lucky''s VB Gaming Tutorials - various VB gaming tutorials - mostly using VB6/DirectX7.
DirectX4VB - exactly what it says, DirectX for VB.
VB Fibre - mostly covers optimisation, some very good stuff for VB programmers here.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I seen a Directx book specificly for visual basic6, don''t recall the name of it unfortunately.Only remembered the price tag ( I''m a Cheap bastard lately )

directx4vb will get you off to a good start. There was some things about his samples I didn''t like that kind of throws you off balance, specially if your new in directX. But if you keep playing around with it, you''ll start understanding it, and probably why I dislike the samples.

Another tip is to keep looking at that darn sdk from hell. Yeah,yeah I know MS help is more of a ms referance for those already a pro Visual Basic programmer, but you can still pick threw that information and learn some things.( the c++ sdk can be a little helpful also at times.Example, compare d3dx.Intersect for c++ and for the vb, and you will find there is more info in c++ but it is basicly the same function)

As for matrice, that will be a good stump, as there are not really any samples that really help you with them, other than very basic setups.... There is however a book called Visual Basic Graphics Programming. Although it does not teach you DirectX at all, it does go into 3d graphics, specificly the matrice math And should help you understand whats happening internally within dx. ( also 2d matrice, and a great starting point)

Look at Planetsourcecode
They have a Visual Basic section, so if you get stuck, you can copy someone-elses answer to the problem.

look for Visual Basic 6 complete, it has a list of commands, lots of sample programs, and it is very long (about 1000 pages?). only $37 AU (as it said on the sticker on its front).
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
quote:Look at Planetsourcecode
They have a Visual Basic section, so if you get stuck, you can copy someone-elses answer to the problem.

Dont do this without reading through the code and understanding how it works - use someone else''s code if you must, but make sure you learn from it, otherwise you''ll have to use thier code every time you want to do whatever that particular piece of code is. Its worth it in the long run to be stuck for a little while longer and actually learn what your doing.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement