help needed

Started by
5 comments, last by doit 19 years, 12 months ago
Hi, im really really new to game development. How do i start with stuff for making a 3d fps game (for the programming part)? Should i get a game mod-ed or should i get the sdks of some game engine? Thanks.
Advertisement
If you are new to Game Development, I recommend programming in 2D first, and then going on to 3D.

SDL - www.libsdl.org - Good 2D API

If you just want to go straight to 3D, I recommend OpenGL (possibly with GLUT to make things easier for you).

OpenGL - www.opengl.org - Good 3D API
GLUT - http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html - Takes care of all the Window, Events, and other non-game related stuff

(Note: You can also use SDL like you use GLUT, but I recommend GLUT)

DirectX - www.microsoft.com/directx/ - Another Good 3D API
quote:DirectX - www.microsoft.com/directx/ - Another Good 3D API

Not cross platform though.

If you want to try your hand a modding an professional engine first, Quake III has been modded into the ground so is very easy to get started with.
Are you completely new to programming or just game programming? If it''s the former I highly recomend learning to program before diving straight in eithing modding a game or learning things such as SDK, GL and DX. A good language for beginners is Python. Many people may recomend C++ as a first language but I disagree. It is true that C++ is used lots in the game industry (AFAIK anyway, I may be wrong here). However C++ is also rather complex, can have annoying and confusing syntax and requires you to fiddle round with low level details. Python however is a higher level langauage which you should find easier to learn. Once you have learned a language such as Python you could move on to C++.

As for game modding how you do it depends on the engine for example modding the Half Life engine (probably the most modded game around) requires you to download the C++ SDK for it and modify the code, I would not recomend trying this straight away. The Unreal engine uses a langauge known as UnrealScript for it''s game logic, this is what you would use to create mods. The CryEngine engine (which powers FarCry) uses LUA scripts for game logic, you could mod it by altering these. It''s probably not a good idea to start with game mods first though. Learn how to program first, get all the concepts down and make sure you understand them before moving on to making games or modding games. If you do this you''ll find things far easier.

Also remember becomming a decent game programmer takes time and dedication. It''s not gonna happen overnight.
Monder:
I have programming experience in c++, only though that its not game programming related. Im pretty new to this, ive participated in game developments/modding-only as an artist for them.

"Also remember becomming a decent game programmer takes time and dedication. It''s not gonna happen overnight. "

Dont worry. Ill very much dedicate my whole time to learn these.
thanks for the metacipher, doing 3d is just way too much for me to learn right now, i should give 2d a go.

quote:Original post by zoggo
quote:DirectX - www.microsoft.com/directx/ - Another Good 3D API

Not cross platform though.

If you want to try your hand a modding an professional engine first, Quake III has been modded into the ground so is very easy to get started with.

mmm sounds tempting, i think ill tinker around with 2d first.
If you''re gonna tinker with 2D first (which is a good idea), look at SDL (linked above). It''s an API which had input handling, event handling, sound and graphics abilities. It''s cross platform and easy to use I highly recomend it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement