Capture media players output

Started by
3 comments, last by bzroom 19 years, 11 months ago
I''m working on a program for an in car computer. Basicaly I''m skinning and adding features to media player. I''m using the wmp9 sdk and so far have got button and text to show up over the media player display. I need to keep the display because thats how I will be playing dvd''s. I need to use a 3d graphics api for the buttons now because I want to add some morphing and transparent effects. Basicaly I need to know which way can be done, and then some info on how to do it. First I was thinking I could get some kind of transparent surface over media players output to render my buttons too. But when I clear the frame buffer won''t it clear it all to one color, not transparent. This could be done either in the same window (an control) or as another window loaded directly over the media player window (another form, or window created in dll). Second I was thinking maybe there was a way to capture wmp''s output. Then I could create a texture and apply it to a quad over the screen. Is this possible? I''m pritty sure I have to use vb to contain the wmp control. I can load another dll with graphics code, or use directx or opengl in vb, which ever will make this possible. Any suggestions, links?
Advertisement
And why exactly do you need Visual Basic to use WMP control? Do you need help using COM and ActiveX in Visual C++?

Yes, I''ve only played with mfc, but I am not looking to get into that. I figured it was only possible in vb since I downloaded the sdk and only found examples in VB and C#.

It's an ActiveX control. Basically any Windows compiler can use it (all the major languages like Visual C++, C#, VisualBasic and Delphi can use ActiveX controls with little more then drag and drop) You are also not limited to MFC if you are using VC++ either, as long as you understand how to create a window and understand the basic concepts behind COM you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I can create a window fine (for opengl). I''ve been searching for com and activex tutorials for c++ but can''t find any, can you point me in the right direction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement