help with Debian linux

Started by
16 comments, last by PPCThug 19 years, 11 months ago
Hm, although you seem to be getting enough help here, there''s also an ''Everything Unix'' forum where *nix junkies might be able to help out more efficiently. Just a note

- ACD

// Brought to you by Code_Dark
| DShaw Encryption | Righting a wrong- my contribution to the world.
Advertisement
you mean on this site? oops, sorry
Bloodshed Dev-C++ 4.9.8.0 Mingw DX 9.0a DX SDK 6.1win2k#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEANthe Particle Projection Cannon fires a shimmering blue bolt, much like a cross between lightning and a sine wave that ripples along its path.mechwarrior 2 mercenaries, 4 particle projection cannons, thug chassis
quote:Original post by PPCThug
most of what I do on windows is playing direct x games, some recent ones are direct x 9, like unreal 2, deus ex invisible war, home world 2, and I hope to get half life 2 when it gets out
I didn''t think linux could run direct x games, I heard about a lin-X? a couple of years ago which could supposedly emulate direct x 6 I think, what ever happened to that?

WineX (a commercial, less-than-open-source fork of Wine meant for games) supports much of DirectX up to DirectX 8. Wine and WineX aren''t entirely perfect, a native port is prefered. Many Unreal engine based games (among others) end up with native ports (Unreal 2K3 and 2K4 have a Linux installer shipped in the box, I''m not sure about Unreal 2).

I''ll move this to Everything Unix for you...
quote:Original post by PPCThug
the guy writing the beginners course on linux kept saying that you can do anything on linux that you could do on windows,
most of what I do on windows is playing direct x games, some recent ones are direct x 9, like unreal 2, deus ex invisible war, home world 2, and I hope to get half life 2 when it gets out
I didn''t think linux could run direct x games, I heard about a lin-X? a couple of years ago which could supposedly emulate direct x 6 I think, what ever happened to that?

They guy that wrote that was speaking in general terms as in "linux can use the www, word proccessors, play games and use IM". He didn''t mean it as "if applicatinoX works in windows it will work in linux".

You''ll probably want to keep your windows partition for games (and when you boot linux you can make legal backup copies of said games ). As others have said, you might be able to get the games to work via wineX but for best performance and reliability they will need to either be played in windows or you will need a linux version of the program.
why am I not suprised, what about dos games? I have a dos game whic h I really miss, could linux help with that? and what about the multiple partitions? whith my hardware can I install linux on one or at most two partitions? I can''t free up three. I posted my hardware in a previous reply.
Bloodshed Dev-C++ 4.9.8.0 Mingw DX 9.0a DX SDK 6.1win2k#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEANthe Particle Projection Cannon fires a shimmering blue bolt, much like a cross between lightning and a sine wave that ripples along its path.mechwarrior 2 mercenaries, 4 particle projection cannons, thug chassis
doxbox does dos games probably better than Windows XP''s own emulator.

I wish I could figure out here I put that CD with Ultima7 and Populous2 on it....
A few old dos games (Civ, doom and I think a few others) have native linux versions freely available. You could also check out what freeware games are available there are alot of wuality ones out there!
As long as you can resize your ntfs partition down, you can pretty much create as many partitions as you want to an extent.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement