problem with drawing pieces of transparent textures (OpenGL)

Started by
16 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by leiavoia
Reality Check: well, why do you want transparency if there is nothing behind it? See what i mean?

If there isn't, just make a regular bmp that joins to the other tiles visually. Otherwise, blit the ground first, then whatever is on top of the ground for layered effect. There isn't any other way to do it.

However, keep in mind that many of ye old classic RPGs just used regular non-transparent tiles to achieve their effects.

The other thing i'll point out is that you are creating what appears to be a 3/4 perspective with square tiles. This is bad from a design point of view (like using a hammer to set screws). Either make a true top-down view with square tiles (like Final Fantasy), or a 3/4 view with diamond tiles.

here is some wonderfull info on isometric vs topdown tiling systems and how to make them work.

EDIT: oh, and when you open a thread, say "hi" or "hello". "high" is the opposite of "low" ;-)

hey leai,

i was waiting for you to help me . you are right about the tiles. im using square tiles and i realize doing 45 degree angles with square tiles wasnt going to work neither visually or codily()... the truth is, i have no idea on how to begin with the artwork...good thing im working with an artist .. hes going to mess around trying to figure out exactlty how to make things look right visually (i think he said hell start with around 80 degree angle and work from there)...

something i DONT understand, is this:

take shadwrun for example (my fav! and inspired me to make this game)... anyway, you see how im "behind" the building... how do they do this? i mean, i could manage "this tile is non solid, this tile is solid..".. but how do they have certain tiles draw OVER the player and not under him? im thinking they used layers for this.. so im gunna wind up having to make layers anyway? does anyone have experiance with making a top down square tiled RPG have any advice? and how does it all work? do i have something like 3 map[][] arrays, one "lowest level", one "middle level", and one "highest level"... the lowest level stuff would be the floor, the middle level stuff would be buildings (which then could have transparent pieces)... the higest level stuff would be the tops of buildings (ala the pic so i could go behind the building) or even lights hanging from the roof of a building (another thing shadowrun has...) but i think the hardest part would be connecting ALL of the maps, and doing collision.. im guessing collision would be performed on all the maps? only the 'middle' one? or maybe all 3? BAH! i DONT want to have layers, unless i have to. but did shadowrun have them, or what technique do you tihnk they used to get that behind-the-building effect? gunna check out that link you showed... thanks a lot for your help man

[edited by - graveyard filla on May 28, 2004 10:58:42 PM]
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
ah, well, yes you are going to have to make layers then. If you ever played any of the emulated SNES games (not that any of us have...), some of the emulators have options to turn off seperate graphics layers. Evidently the Super Nintendo built graphics into layers. If you take a game like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 3/6j, you can turn off the different layers and see how the game was built. So you'd have the background layer, the ground tile layer, the sprite layer, the tops of the buildings (which lets you peek inside and see hidden passages, teehee!), and special effects like fog, mist, sunshine or underwater looking things on top, all blended of course.

So, as was my original original suggestion, organize your UpdateObjects into layers. for my system, i have a sprite layer, 4 background layers and 4 foreground layers. That gives me lots of room to create special effects. Then i blit each layer in order from bottom to top. My objects are not tied to a map, as such, so...

The other thing is that you don't necessarily need to stick to the tile-based mode of thinking for everything. You can mix tiles and free-floating objects if you organize it right. Your free-floaters can be pointless eye candy too. But don't get stuck in the "Everything is a tile" mode of thought or you will unnecessarily limit yourself. However, if you still want to do that, that link i posted previously has links to articles that discuss that very problem of "walking under" tiles.

You can also see what i'm talking about mixing tiles and free-floaters here in this thread of mine

[edited by - leiavoia on May 28, 2004 11:12:51 PM]
you know.. you are right about not thinking in terms of tiles... i could easily add ''free floaters'' to the game, like in shadowrun where you can walk ''underneath'' a light... this could easily just be a button in the map editor and when you click it puts |= LIGHT to the flags in that tile (my tile class has a flags paremter), anyway, when drawing the map i would just check for LIGHT and if so draw a light there (i already do the same thing for the player and enemies) ... it shouldnt be hard to add some nice visual depth that way, but i wouldnt be able to add collideble objects this way, would i? i mean, if i did i would have to do bounding box collision on them no? also, i think i will add some more layers to the game.. i can see how much nicer the game will feel with layers, so i can have stuff like walking behind buildings... so im guessing i will have 2 map[][] arrays which each had seperate maps, and i would draw the background map before the foreground one (what about messing with the Z axis for this? worth it or no?)... thinking about it it wont be that hard to do this in the map editor (tha part that will prolly be the hardest).. i could just have a button for switching between which layer im currently working on.....

i read through that thread, but i dont know what you were talking about with the "make all the objects collision objects" or "not use arrays for the map"... how would you go about doing that? im not sure how quad trees work, but i think they just only check for collision on objects that are close to each other to cut back on checking... ok but how do you draw a screen full of tiles without an array? just seems weird... again thanks a lot for all your help
you are not drawing a "scene full of tiles with an array". Your just drawing a bunch of objects. My system doesn't care if it's a tile, gunshot, character, exposion, etc. Let's disect:

A: Is an explosion consisting of 1) an explosion animation, 2) a light flare (textured quad), and a shower of particles. It all happens real fast. The animation, flare, and particles are free-floating. They have no tile coords and are not tiles. They simply exist in world space at about 500x,500y. None of these entities are collision objects. They just look pretty.

B: Happy face! He blows up if he hits too many walls. He exists in world space and he's also a collision object. All collision objects get sorted into a quadtree which files objects into a specific region of space you only check objects against other objects in the local space, instead of everybody against everybody.

C: Fading Explosion. The light flare has gone (it fizzles out in 95ms) and was removed as an UpdateObject from the list. The animation is still going, as are the particles.

D: World block. No it's not a tile array, it's a quad with a repeating texture. The same is true for the side bars. In total there are 5 world blocks in this scene. They are also collision objects and get sorted into the quadtree as well.

E: Particles. They are not collisionable and exist in world space by themselves. The update engine cycles over each particle and updates and draws each one every frame.

F: The background! It's just a textured quad with an offset repeating texture. The offset produces a scrolling effect and parallax too (pretty schnazy).

There are no tiles on this scene. There is no array. All objects are independent. That doesn't mean that i couldn't ALSO use a tile array. Which i have also played with: (Screenshot shows offset tiles, except all tiles are still independent quadtree-sorted objects)

[edited by - leiavoia on May 29, 2004 1:58:43 PM]
hey leia,

i appreciate you helping me. i have a question : if you dont use tiles to draw your background/world block, how do you track it all? i mean, if its not a tile, how do you judge how big to make the quad? your map editor must be really sophisticated to say "make a quad here x by x units"... also, you must keep track of all these things positions then, huh? so even the background tiles have a recorded x,y position for collision detection and such im assuming? also, how do you go about doing collision detection? is it just standard bounding box, or something different? lastly, is this system better then using tiles? i mean obviously you can get more diverse objects on your scene, but what about speed and such? i know that thread you mentioned it wasnt as fast....

thanks again for your help!
quote:if you dont use tiles to draw your background/world block, how do you track it all? i mean, if its not a tile, how do you judge how big to make the quad?

Everything gets stuffed into the UpdateObject list. Quadtrees keep track of collision object space partitioning.

quote:your map editor must be really sophisticated to say "make a quad here x by x units"...

Actually it''s pretty simple... i don''t have a map editor, as such. (yet). I plan to keep my world data in XML though.

quote:also, you must keep track of all these thing''s positions then, huh? so even the background tiles have a recorded x,y position for collision detection and such im assuming?

True. each object has a collision rectangle.

quote:also, how do you go about doing collision detection? is it just standard bounding box, or something different?

Something different. It''s a rather compicated system now. It checks for abject type and object geometries. All objects have a collision hitbox, but some objects have other more sophisticated geometries like a sphere or polygon or point. If it passes the basic hitbiox test, i can stop or move on to a more accurate test. There is a lot more to it than that, but if you ware looking for a headswim, check this other thread of mine

quote:lastly, is this system better then using tiles? i mean obviously you can get more diverse objects on your scene, but what about speed and such? i know that thread you mentioned it wasnt as fast....

No, not necessarily. This model works for free-floating objects very nicely. For tiles, i think i''d design something different and custom tailored for that. Not much can beat a raw array lookup for speed. My system is designed to handle objects of different types (world, player, enemy, weapon...) and different geometries (sphere, poly, point, box...) quickly. It wasn''t meant for a tile engine, but that doesn''t mean i couldn''t add a new kind of object to the list that acts like a tile array.
thanks for your help man.. just a quick question.. how long have you been programming? you seem like you know your shit, and im just curiouse how long youve been doing this for... thanks a lot for all your help !!!
I don''t know anything. Man, i work in a photolab!

I''ve been C++''ing for about ~2 years. I picked up perl and PHP (mostly forgotten now) a year or two before that. Perl still comes in handy. I started learning C++ by creating a TBS game which i worked on constantly for a year. and dropped it around March to work on more action/graphics oriented games (i wanted to program explosions!).

Most of what i know i pick up from other people or learn from trying different things. I''m sure i''m a terrible programmer, but i sound smart :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement