quick Q about text in Ortho mode

Started by
11 comments, last by Luke Miklos 19 years, 11 months ago
I''m developing some gui classes & I can''t get any text to show up in ortho mode. I''m using the glprint() from from one of Nehe''s lessons & it just doesn''t work in ortho mode. Any tips?
Whatsoever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord, and not unto men.
Advertisement
alright... lemme update my question... the "text" isn''t blank anymore... I see colored squares where the text should be... the color is the color that I set it to before I draw the text... any clues ???
Are you drawing the text before or after everything else?
as a test... I''m just drawing the GUI in ortho mode, & thats it. so before everything else. whats your train of thought? *sigh... I know its something stupid... it always is

want some source?
That would be nice yeah, it might be a problem with depth testing/masking settings or something, maybe blending problems or something completely different...
Yes, blending might be the problem, but I''d check the texture as well.
Maybe you''re not loading it in the right way, or you''re not using it when drawing.
Anyway, if I had to guess, I''d say it''s the blending function.
all of this code was mostly ripped from nehe in one form or another.. I am just not using it right somehow.

Here is the initialize function & the print function of one attempt:

HFONT fonts[2];unsigned int guiFontBase[2];// need an array of fonts?void Build2dFont(void)				// Build Our Bitmap Font  - ditched "GLVoid," (?){	//HFONT	font;										// Windows Font ID	int numFonts = 2;	guiFontBase[0] = glGenLists(96);							// Storage For 96 Characters	guiFontBase[1] = glGenLists(96);	fonts[0] = CreateFont(	18,							// Height Of Font (-24 originally?)						0,								// Width Of Font						0,								// Angle Of Escapement						0,								// Orientation Angle						FW_BOLD,						// Font Weight						TRUE,							// Italic						FALSE,							// Underline						FALSE,							// Strikeout						ANSI_CHARSET,					// Character Set Identifier						OUT_TT_PRECIS,					// Output Precision						CLIP_DEFAULT_PRECIS,			// Clipping Precision						ANTIALIASED_QUALITY,			// Output Quality						FF_DONTCARE|DEFAULT_PITCH,		// Family And Pitch						"Arial");					// Font Name	fonts[1] = CreateFont(-12,0,0,0,FW_NORMAL,FALSE,FALSE,FALSE,							ANSI_CHARSET,OUT_TT_PRECIS,CLIP_DEFAULT_PRECIS,							ANTIALIASED_QUALITY,FF_DONTCARE|DEFAULT_PITCH,							"Arial");	SelectObject(hDC, fonts[0]);							// Selects The Font We Want	wglUseFontBitmaps(hDC, 32, 96, guiFontBase[0]);				// Builds 96 Characters Starting At Character 32	SelectObject(hDC, fonts[1]);	wglUseFontBitmaps(hDC, 32, 96, guiFontBase[1]);}void gl2dPrint(const char *fmt, ...)					// Custom GL "Print" Routine{	char		text[256] = "";								// Holds Our String	va_list		ap;										// Pointer To List Of Arguments	if (fmt == NULL)									// If There''s No Text		return;											// Do Nothing	va_start(ap, fmt);									// Parses The String For Variables	    vsprintf(text, fmt, ap);						// And Converts Symbols To Actual Numbers	va_end(ap);											// Results Are Stored In Text	glPushAttrib(GL_LIST_BIT);							// Pushes The Display List Bits	glListBase(guiFontBase[0] - 32);								// Sets The Base Character to 32	glCallLists(strlen(text), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, text);	// Draws The Display List Text	glPopAttrib();										// Pops The Display List Bits}

here is the source for how I switch back & forth to ortho perspective & where I draw some of the objects:

void Gui::switchToOrtho(void) {	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);							// Select Projection		glPushMatrix();											// Push The Matrix		glLoadIdentity();										// Reset The Matrix		glOrtho( 0, screenWidth, screenHeight, 0, -1, 1 );	// Select Ortho Mode (640x480)		glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);								// Select Modelview Matrix		glPushMatrix();											// Push The Matrix		glLoadIdentity();										// Reset The Matrix}void Gui::switchBackToPerspective(void) {	glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );		// Select Projection		glPopMatrix();						// Pop The Matrix		glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );		// Select Modelview		glPopMatrix();						// Pop The Matrix}void Gui::drawGui(void) {	int i;	switchToOrtho();	glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);	glDisable(GL_BLEND);	for(i=0;i<numPanels;i++) {		panels[i].drawObject();	}	switchBackToPerspective();}

here is another attempt, taking a different route:

//globals for now,  ECH!!!unsigned int guiTexture[1];int fontBase;void buildGuiFont(void) {	int loop1 = 0;	glColor4f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);				// Enable Texture Mapping	glGenTextures(1, &guiTexture[0]);	fontBase=glGenLists(256);							// Creating 256 Display Lists	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, guiTexture[0]);		// Select Our Font Texture	for (loop1=0; loop1<256; loop1++)					// Loop Through All 256 Lists	{		float cx=float(loop1%16)/16.0f;					// X Position Of Current Character		float cy=float(loop1/16)/16.0f;					// Y Position Of Current Character		glNewList(base+loop1,GL_COMPILE);				// Start Building A List			glBegin(GL_QUADS);							// Use A Quad For Each Character				glTexCoord2f(cx,1.0f-cy-0.0625f);		// Texture Coord (Bottom Left)				glVertex2d(0,16);						// Vertex Coord (Bottom Left)				glTexCoord2f(cx+0.0625f,1.0f-cy-0.0625f);	// Texture Coord (Bottom Right)				glVertex2i(16,16);							// Vertex Coord (Bottom Right)				glTexCoord2f(cx+0.0625f,1.0f-cy);			// Texture Coord (Top Right)				glVertex2i(16,0);							// Vertex Coord (Top Right)				glTexCoord2f(cx,1.0f-cy);					// Texture Coord (Top Left)				glVertex2i(0,0);							// Vertex Coord (Top Left)			glEnd();										// Done Building Our Quad (Character)			glTranslated(15,0,0);							// Move To The Right Of The Character		glEndList();										// Done Building The Display List	}}void glPrint(int x, int y, int set, const char *fmt, ...){	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, guiTexture[0]);	char	text[256];						// Holds Our String	va_list		ap;							// Pointer To List Of Arguments	if (fmt == NULL) {						// If There''s No Text		return;								// Do Nothing	}	va_start(ap, fmt);						// Parses The String For Variables	    vsprintf(text, fmt, ap);			// And Converts Symbols To Actual Numbers	va_end(ap);								// Results Are Stored In Text	if (set>0) {							// Did User Choose An Invalid Character Set?		set=1;								// If So, Select Set 1 (Italic)	} else if(set<0) {		set = 0;	}	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);				// Enable Texture Mapping	glLoadIdentity();						// Reset The Modelview Matrix	glTranslated(x,y,0);					// Position The Text (0,0 - Bottom Left)	glListBase(fontBase-32+(128*set));			// Choose The Font Set (0 or 1)	if (set==0) {							// If Set 0 Is Being Used Enlarge Font		glScalef(1.5f,2.0f,1.0f);			// Enlarge Font Width And Height	}	glCallLists(strlen(text),GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, text);		// Write The Text To The Screen	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);								// Disable Texture Mapping}
still stuck... got a question... do I need to setup some kinda raster for the text? (even though I''m in ortho mode)

like... glRasterPos2f() ????
glRasterPos is like glTranslate but it only changes the following data it''s position, not the actual matrix transformation (am i right?). Anyway your problem is probably that the masking doesn''t work, i don''t know if wglUseFontBitmaps does that automatically but i doubt it and your second attempt doesn''t do that for sure. Try masking (maybe look through the masking tutorial at NeHe''s).
I''m not sure about this,
but can you call glBindTexture() before enabling GL_TEXTURE_2D?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement