i heed help programming!!!!!!! badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by
30 comments, last by script x 19 years, 10 months ago
ok hey im totally new to game developement ive wanted to do it for soo long.. but i dont know where to start im guessing programming but i dont know.. please tell me where to start and give me some resources i can use to gain some knowledge of it like compilers modelers and stuff if u ahve aim zero or die2999
heeeeelp
Advertisement
If you want to start learning programming I''d recomend learning Python. It''s a powerful language that you can do a lot in. The code written in isn''t going to be as fast as code written in say C++ (which I would recomend staying away from until you actually know how to program in an easier language such as Python), however maximum speed is not what you need when learning to program. You need a language which takes care of the low level details and allows you to focus on the principles of programming.

How to think like a computer scientist may be a good book to read (it''s free to download online) to learn Python.
I agree Python is a great place to start. Check out this newbie Python book which teaches how to program by making games. By the end of the book you actually make an Asteriods clone. Sweet.
Several links.

You probably want to start at the top and work down.

The obligatory For Beginners link

Py game, very neat, lets you use python for game development

Pyopengl, for 3d

Game Tutorials(Tons of reletive stuff)

Cpp-Home (lots of example code)

Googled them

Great 2D tutorials

Flip-Code

MSDN

NEHE 3d opengl tutorials

gamedev.net articles

Quote:Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.
I don't know why people even bother to use "Python".
I don't know how can you people ewen begin writeing somthing in phyton when you know that in c/c++ you can write it about 12 times more efficiently!
And not only do you write code that is slow, you are adviceing other people to do it ???
My opinion is C++ & Assembler - once you got these two under your belt nothing in game dedvelopment will be more than an add on to your kwnolidge!
If you learn somthing like Python you will get the principals of the lanuge (Syntax) and then wen switching to C/C++ you will hawe a hard time adapting to changes!
Well I am not saying Python is usles - yust it has no use in game deevelopment where every frame counts (evry wasted procesor cycle )
There is a lots of good links on the net buth the best woud be the nehe.gamedev.net, OpenGL.org(noth for beginers buth tehnical info ) & Microsoft DX SDK.
If you already know programing I woud recomend to start reading tutorials on gamedev.net becouse they are writen in style only for people who know the C/C++.(most of them)
If you hawe no expiriance with C/C++ you shoud read NEHE pdf becouse it teaches you C/C++ and the OpenGL - the tutorials asume that you know how to link files to your compiler and som esentials of C (even that is explaind).

P.S.
Sory about gramatical errors

[edited by - Red Drake on May 31, 2004 3:28:54 PM]
Red Drake
The point is not how fast the code will run, but how long it takes you to write it. In 99% of the cases the speed of the code doesn''t matter, development time always matters.
When beginning programming the speed at which your programs run should not be a concern (as I stated above). Sure highly optimised C++ is probably gonna beat Python but Python is perfectly adequete for writing 2D games (i.e. what a beginner may write). Using Python also means you do not have to worry about any low level details and do not have to deal with what can be baffling and highly confusing syntax (for example that of C++).

quote:My opinion is C++ & Assembler - once you got these two under your belt nothing in game dedvelopment will be more than an add on to your kwnolidge!

Programming languages are nothing but tools and you should always pick the right tool for the job. C++ with ASM is in no way some 'holy trinity' of languages that are perfectly suited to solving every problem and for every job you may want to do as you seem to suggest. To be a good programmer you don't need to know whatever language is currently most popular you need to know the concepts, concepts which will be the same in many different languages despite different syntaxes. Learning a programming language is just something you need to do in order to make a game, but it is one of many things you must learn. More important than the languages you learn is an understanding of fundamental algorithms, data structures and the concepts of programming. Once you have a firm grasp of these topics you should be able to learn just about any programming language which you care to learn with relative ease and thus choose the right one for the job.

In the case of learning the right tool for the job is a relatively simple language that encourages good structure, has simple syntax and hides away details that need not concern a beginner programmer. Python can be considered as a good tool for this job.

[edited by - Monder on May 31, 2004 3:50:53 PM]
Monder thank you for suggesting python script x along with how to think like a computer scientist. I just finished chapters 1-3 in a little less then an hour, and in the 4 days it took me to do the first 3 chapters of C++ it has given me an understanding of what C++ was saying. Python goes alot more in depth but gives better comparisons for learning, C++ is way to dry for a beginner like myslef. Thanks again.
quote:Original post by Monder
C++ with ASM is in no way some ''holy trinity'' of languages that are perfectly suited to solving every problem and for every job you may want to do as you seem to suggest.

I agree; "trinity" implies three members. You''d have to add machine code to complete it.
quote:I agree; "trinity" implies three members. You''d have to add machine code to complete it.

/me looks up trinity in the dictionary

So it does, well it''s pretty irrelvant anyway, it still doesn''t change the fact C++ and ASM aren''t the ultimate programming languages perfectly suited to every job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement