• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

haircut_rabbit

I'm sorry. I just don't understand time.

This topic is 5217 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Reading these Einstein/Time Travel threads...ugh. Let''s just say I''m no Einstein. Is time a dimension of movement or not? Or is time a different kind of dimension than the three degrees of movement we experience? Are we within a 3-dimensional universe that is itself flying through a 4th dimension and we just perceive it as time because we have no control over its forward motion? How do we sense time the way that we do if it''s a dimension like x, y, and z? Does anyone really understand this? I mean, really understand it; not just on paper. It seems that time dialation make sense of some inconsistencies with distance and speed, and so on paper - in the equations - it all works out, but in reality it just doesn''t make any durn sense! I mean, dialation is something that generally happens to actual palpable objects, and so telling me that time dialates doesn''t really help me visualize it. I don''t really know what that means. Does each particle in our universe have it''s own unique instance of time? If I''m moving alongside a beam of light, and the light is moving past me at c as it should, then obviously there is some time dialtion, but if we were to visualize that with sort of a graph, would the time distortion end where the partical ends or would there be sort of a gradient, where time gets less distorted as you get further from the object? P.S. I don''t understand a word of that string theory website. The NOVA special that was based on Greene''s (I think that''s his name) The Elegant Universe helped me understand a bit about what the theory proposes however I am no closer to viaulizing this sstuff than I was before I watched it. Dimensions that are tiny and curled...what the hell does that mean? They can''t be seen because they are infintismal in size, however they are EVERYWHERE and so shouldn''t we be able to see them anyway? When last I checked it didn''t matter how small an object was, if you fill a jar with it then you can still see it. I don''t get it!

Advertisement
Time is nothing else than a word for a simple formula:
Velocity/length

Time is nothing else than movement.

You can also go back in time. Let''s say a car has moved from A to B. To go back in time, move the car from B to A. Then the time (but only for the car) has gone backwards. Again, time is simply nothing else than a lot of movements of our objects.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!