unknown function

Started by
6 comments, last by crucifixion 19 years, 10 months ago
I have this unknown math function, and i need to make a function that mimics it''s output fairly close, and all i know is what i get back from what i give it, here''s a list: unknown(1) = 205 unknown(2) = 260 unknown(3) = 310 unknown(4) = 365 unknown(5) = 425 i know this can be done, but i don''t know how. any suggestions/solutions
Advertisement
Plot the points. "Draw a function" that looks like it will be a good approximation (should be pretty obvious once you've plotted the points).

[edited by - Muzzafarath on June 5, 2004 5:03:25 AM]
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Don''t hand out answers to homework questions!

Mark
Yeah, you''re right.
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I would write out every solution for you. But even if I did that forever there is no guarantee that I would reach the one you want, as there are uncountably many solutions, even on the integers.
Always ask unknown(0) first.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)
The one and only correct answer is obviously f : x --> unknown(x)

However, you might find interesting to look into various interpolation/approximation techniques (linear interpolation, cubic interpolation, trigonometric interpolation, taylor infinite series, or plain simple lagrange or chebyshev polynomial interpolation).

Thank you all.

I will plot the points. However what i was looking for was an interpolation/approximation technique.

This is for a game I''m making, not a homework assignment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement