Hex Graphics

Started by
1 comment, last by juggerp 19 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I have a quick question regarding hex-based graphics in a turn-based strategy game....the way I have my game board set up is that odd numbered rows are offset from even numbered rows, so that each hex is oriented like this: /\ | | \/ My question is how can a straight road going vertically on the board be represented accurately? If a road going horizontally across several hexes, everything is handled normally. However, if a road going across several tiles is vertical, the raod will alternate going over a single hex then over two side-by-side hexes. Graphically it is easy to do, but how would I place a unit properly on the correct tile, if parts of the road are actually split across two different tiles? Thanks for the help
Advertisement
quote:Original post by juggerp
My question is how can a straight road going vertically on the board be represented accurately?
Graphically it is easy to do, but how would I place a unit properly on the correct tile, if parts of the road are actually split across two different tiles?

Have you ever seen Fallout 1 or 2 ? There are no roads but still the problem is the same as yours: character couldn''t move straight vertically (or horisontally in your account), he just ran in zigzags. But AFAI noticed nobody gives so much attention to it even to spare the time for criticizing . IMHO there''s one solution to write the game hex''n''roads could not spoil ;D
one possibility is instead of having your vertical roads be centered int the hex, have them offset to the left or right so that they pass through a definate hex and not between to.

for example (which i''ll do turned 90 degreed since it''s easier to draw):
     o--------o                o    /    ||    \              /   /     ||     \            /  /      ||      \          / o       ||       o--------o  \      ||      /          \   \     | =====/============\==    \    ||    /              \     o--------o                o    /    ||    \              /   /     ||     \            /  /      ||      \          / o       ||       o--------o 

anyway, hope this helps in some way.
<span class="smallfont">That is not dead which can eternal lieAnd with strange aeons even death may die.   -- "The Nameless City" - H. P. Lovecraft</span>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement