Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Can Sonic jump higher than Knuckles?

Started by Scythe Wielder Jun 5, 2004 at 10:02 PM 14 replies 4.4k views
Original Post
Scythe Wielder
Scythe Wielder
For the last decade I''ve noticed something while playing Sonic and Knuckles for the Genesis. It appears as if Knuckles can''t jump as high as Sonic or Tails? Anyone else notice this, or am I just crazy? Anyone know why Naka-san and friends would do this anyway?
Man_with_a_Plan
Man_with_a_Plan
well dont know about that however I did notice that it's impossible to beat super mario bros with luigi because he can't make the initial jump in the castle in the 8th world. This has always bothered me.



[edited by - Man_with_a_Plan on June 5, 2004 11:08:00 PM]
PnP Bios
PnP Bios
sonic the hedgehog jumps higher. first level of sonic and knuckes. kmuckles goes through a wall of rock, sonic jumps to an opposite platform.

somebody please post a funny image
shuma-gorath
shuma-gorath
It's very true. I even remember reading in a video game magazine. Yuji and friends did it so that Knuckles couldn't travel the same paths as Sonic & Tails. Now, a skilled player can make Knuckles travel the same paths as Sonic & Tails in almost every level except for maybe Angle Island Zone, act 2 and Marble Garden Zone, act 2.

Also, they made Knuckles jump not as high to distribute character attributes evenly...um yeah.

[edited by - shuma-gorath on June 6, 2004 1:34:35 AM]
smart_idiot
smart_idiot
Knuckles can''t jump as high as Sonic. It made the last boss in Sonic 2 and Knuckles extremely hard.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other
Conner McCloud
Conner McCloud
quote:
Original post by Man_with_a_Plan
well dont know about that however I did notice that it''s impossible to beat super mario bros with luigi because he can''t make the initial jump in the castle in the 8th world. This has always bothered me.

The original? This seems fishy, since Luigi was just player 2, as opposed to a character you could actively chose to play. Furthermore, in SMB2 Luigi has the longest jump out of everybody.

CM
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
quote:
Original post by Man_with_a_Plan
well dont know about that however I did notice that it''s impossible to beat super mario bros with luigi because he can''t make the initial jump in the castle in the 8th world. This has always bothered me.

The original? This seems fishy, since Luigi was just player 2, as opposed to a character you could actively chose to play. Furthermore, in SMB2 Luigi has the longest jump out of everybody.

CM


he''s just being an idiot. He''s talking about level 8-4 in SMB1, you enter the dungeon and walk down a staircase, which immediately runs into a lava pit.

I was always forced to play as luigi, with a timer that would indicate when I should kill my character whenever I played two player with someone, that way the other person had a chance to play. I played it straight through ten times once (don''t remember how many times I died).



capn_midnight | Captain Midnight | deviantArt
ACM | SIGGRAPH | Generation5
Scythe Wielder
Scythe Wielder
While we''re at it, what the hell is up with those secret special stages in Sonic & Knuckles? You know, the ones where you lock on Sonic 1 or another non-Sonic 2/3 game and a screen with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman shows up that says "No Way! No way?..." Has anyone ever played through all of them? And what happens when you do? Another question that''s been plaguing me for a decade.
Conner McCloud
Conner McCloud
quote:
Original post by Scythe Wielder
While we''re at it, what the hell is up with those secret special stages in Sonic & Knuckles? You know, the ones where you lock on Sonic 1 or another non-Sonic 2/3 game and a screen with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman shows up that says "No Way! No way?..." Has anyone ever played through all of them? And what happens when you do? Another question that''s been plaguing me for a decade.

I am almost certain that nothing happens. Its just a fun little game.

CM
shuma-gorath
shuma-gorath
The furthest I made it was 220, I think. I''m not sure what happens when you beat it.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
Can''t Sonic double jump while Knuckles just glides?


Nah, sonic does this weird... shield jump, IIRC.



New and improved! Yet still under construction.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Scythe Wielder
Scythe Wielder
quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
Can't Sonic double jump while Knuckles just glides?


Nein. You're actually thinking of Hyper Sonic, and regular Sonic from Sonic Adventure 1/2. Regular Sonic in 3 and Knuckles could just do a shield jump.

EDIT: He could also use the special jumps that come with the shield (fireball jump, double jump with the magnet shield, and the bouncy jump with bubble shield).

[edited by - Scythe Wielder on June 7, 2004 9:32:38 AM]
Coward
Coward
Tails pwns all of you..
Don't Temp Fate..
Pxtl
Pxtl
Quick question - did _anybody_ enjoy the scavenger hunt or robot levels in Sonic Adventure 2? Singleplayer or multiplayer, either way they blew (though the robot battle was passible, if repetative fun).

I kept wishing they''d made it like F-29 retaliator, where you _knew_ where to go, but the race was over an open, complicated level, not a set course. Instead, poorly worded and vague clues meant that I took 15 minutes on each Knuckles map.
-- Single player is masturbation.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.