Game Idea- Teamplay WW2 MMORPG

Started by
13 comments, last by VooDoo665 19 years, 10 months ago
This idea is STRICTLY a RPG game. It will have VERY strict rules on playing... ie people will NOT go running around by themselves. If found by mp''s they will be tagged as AWOL and jailed ( ie have to RESTART your charactor ) unless they have a truthful story ( ie whole squad got ambushed, trying to find outfit ) . So if you do not like playing as a team, THIS GAME IS NOT FOR YOU. I repeat. NOT FOR YOU. TURN AWAY NOW! So my idea is have a totally teamplay ww2 game. You all have seen ww2online. Well i want to take it a step farthur. That game you can use tanks whenever you want etc. It will not work like that in my game. You have to EARN it. Starting out/ranking -Everyone will start out in bootcamp. Where they must complete extended training. If they finish boot camp with respectable marks ( for leadership marksmanship etc ) Then they will be promoted. After boot camp they will choose a position. Depending on how good that person is ( ie tactics etc. For this we will find people who we trust to give command to people only deserving of ) We will grant you a specialty( Ie sniper, morter, radio, medic, machine gun ) With this you will be split up into squads. Each squad will have a squadleader. This leader will be chosen on his given statistics. This game WILL be realistic. You will have 10 lives. Everytime you die you will appear back at base . After 10 deaths you will have to restart the game as a private again. This is harsh yes i know. But we will give a handicapp for ranks. IE a general will not be a pvt. He will be at least a Captain. This games first main game will be army ONLY. No navy or airforce. There will be free expansions to this game as it goes farthur. Zoning - This game will be of massive scale. It will be set into zones. These zones will be on different servers making the game lagfree. The zones will be of large scale though. If under attack you will NOT be able to leave the zone unless a certain amount of time has passed. Region - This game will be set in 3 regions ( like in Ultima Online as facits ). These regions will seperate europe. Yes, people will be able to go in different regions but there will be a limit to how many in each max. People will put in for a transfer order and then transfered into someone elses company. Skills - This game will be made through experience points. You get this from being in action. Example : Marksman skill goes up if you shoot effectivaly at a target from a long distance. Morter goes up if you effectivaly bomb a certain building. As you gain skill you gain better titles like advanced marksman.. sharpshooter... etc. There will also be a skill known as engineer which will be used for blowing up bridges.. building bridges.. etc etc.Battle Tactics will be for squad leaders when they successfully complete missions with their squads... This skill will lead them to bigger and better missions. Weaponry - Weapons will be decided by statistics of that person. They will range from carbine....rifle.. thompson.. morter.. etc etc. The soldier - The soldier will ALSO have realistic needs. He will have to eat and drink etc. If not around base and out of rations, the soldier will have to forage or get food from indeginous personel. His equipment WILL break down if he does not spend a few minutes to clean it. He will have to stock up on ammo foraging all that he can on his way. When he dies his body WILL stay where it dies for 24 hours or one server reset. Capture points - Will be like any other game. You will have to secure the perimiter of the capture point for 10 minutes. Once secured Artificial Inteligence will be LOOSLY places to defend the area. Cost - Game is free to download but will cost have a monthly cost. No i will NEVER go over 9.99 a month with this game either. System specs - This game will be a VERY nicely build game.. terrain etc etc. At game opening there will be only one region. This region will be worked on constantly till its up to realistic standerds. There will be cities, roads, villages, farms, etc etc. So i think at least a geforce 4 with a pentium 3 will work. Well... what do you think of my VERY VERY VERY basic outline? Good? Bad? Any criticism would be nice. What do you think i should change? What should i add? Thanks allot fellas.
Aim me - summerofsixtnine
Advertisement
Umm, wasn''t there already a WW2 MMORPG?
-- Single player is masturbation.
Yes its called ww2 online BUT my game is TOTALLY different. Like i stated above if you would have read it, that game gives you tanks etc etc without earning them. And that game in my opinion has horrible graphics and has no real teamplay. Its not realistic.
How would you handle tanks? You get a tank and its part of your inventory? Or you just get clearance to drive a tank? If in a battle a pilot has, for some stupid reason, vacated his tank, can another player who may have the skills but not the clearance occupy his tank?

imho, ww2 has been done to death in modern gaming anyways. Besides that, if you want pvp action, then half the players would have to be nazis, an idea I''ve never been fond of. Why not think outside the box and design it as a ww1 game? The factions are less neatly divided (everybody fought everybody) - the issues of survival besides warfare would be more involved (it was much less organized) and plus, the vehicles would be closer to the power levels of the players - lighter tanks, and light, fragile aircraft. Plus, nobody has to play the ultimate villains - its dubious who even were the "bad guys" in ww1.
WW1 was only trench warfare. that is it. Nothing else really happened. People tossed poisonous gas, it blew back at them. They rushed their trenches, gained 10 yards, and waited 10 more days.

About the tank, yes, under certain circumstances you would be able to go into the tanke if you knew how to drive it ( it have the skills ) You would have the clearance ( piece of paper in inventory ) that says you can drive tanks. I am not planning on doing ships or planes for a long time yet tho.
quote:
This idea is STRICTLY a RPG game.

If you are using stats, why would you have to go through extensive training at a boot camp just to play? Just customize your character and go. Maybe just have boot camp as a tutorial you have to play the first time through.

quote:
If found by mp''s they will be tagged as AWOL and jailed ( ie have to RESTART your charactor ) unless they have a truthful story ( ie whole squad got ambushed, trying to find outfit )

Does this mean that if you get killed in the line of duty, you have to restart your character again as well or do you just respawn someplace? What is stoping some one from saying "Hay, I was scouting for my platoon and they didn''t show up at the designated randavou point"? If you do this through AI (or even someone else) I would be very pissed if I had to re-start my character just because the AI/person though my story wasn''t true.

quote:
These zones will be on different servers making the game lagfree. The zones will be of large scale though.

Wow, lagfree. I would like this applied to every online game.

quote:
System specs - This game will be a VERY nicely build game.. terrain etc etc. At game opening there will be only one region. This region will be worked on constantly till its up to realistic standerds. There will be cities, roads, villages, farms, etc etc. So i think at least a geforce 4 with a pentium 3 will work.

Just my though, if a game is going to impose that many rules on my gameplay options I would MUCH rather see everything else working perfectly (or VERY close) before graphics.

Ok, this will never happen where the user meets as the point and their teammates arent there. Yes there are times where whole squads will get ambushed and one person gets away. Those are acceptable times . And YES it will be easy to sneak past the MP's as to not get caught. And yes the GM will be able to see that your squad got destroyed and you are the only one left. The main reason for this is to stop players from just running around shooting things. This is not teamplay like. If you want to run around and shoot then go play call of duty. I am not sure about the AWOL MP system i dont think it will work too well. Got any other idea how i could stop people from just going off on their own?

Oh and about boot camp.... i'm sure you arent going to go into a war not knowing how to operate your weapon =). Bootcamp will be like an hour to two hour process. There the system will decide what you are best for. You will be able to request that you be a certain specialty. The comp will then decide if you are good enough for that yet. You will be able to do this throught the game .You will get high enough specs then you will go back to the base and get clearance and the new gun( it sniper rifle ) You will only have to go through bootcamp once though. Its not that big of a deal . If you have played Americas Army or whatever it is then you know what i am talking about.

[edited by - voodoo665 on June 7, 2004 2:44:05 PM]
I should have read that more closely - I think the original poster has a very unrealistic understanding of the gamedev world. Do you think the devs for any game say "I know, lets make our game ugly and laggy!"? No, of course the graphics were an unfortunate compromise that they had to make. An MMO of this type demands a very very large continuous landscape setting - something that already is very particular in graphics requirements. Then, you have to make the models modular in that they can handle whatever armour or equipment or appearance you slap onto them. You can''t really expect this to look good in the end.

Compromises must be made. In design, focus on the features where you do something differently (not more or better) that improves the actual quality of the game - not "I''m gonna make mine bigger!".

Damn. Screw it, just go play second life, buy yourself a giant plot of land, and make yourself some WWII stuff with a decent guild. We need more player-content-oriented MMOs so that all these "I want to make an MMO" type people can actually try and make it themselves rather than trying to build games from scratch and never even being able to get past this idea phase.
Ok sir, first of all get me straight i was not saying ww2 online is a bad game. It just doesnt appeal to me. My game is allot different. I am introducing zones. They have no zones, thus being why they have to compromise and have worse graphics. I am stopping that by creating zones so its lagfree and run on seperate servers so they can handle it. Whole europe is run as one in ww2, not as seperate zones . I introduce ranking,skills, divisions, and much more. That is why my game is different. It is totally centered on teamplay and being realistic. And i have very little experience making games yes you are right, that doesnt make me any less of a person though. I have made a game in 3dgame studio. No it did not turn out well. That was 3 years ago. And all this is is an idea that i was thinking about. I know it will be VERY hard to program all of this in but i think it will be worth it to have a realistic ww2 game thats devoted to teamplay. I am personally sick of all the ww2 games that are all run, shoot, die, respawn, run, shoot, throw a nade, die. I would rather be in a squad who sets up tactics, stealthly walkes around, while one person atop a hill gives covering fire, they infiltrate, throw nades, back off, rush to the sides, fan out , destroy the enemy th reat, take position, and hold the perimiter. Just my opinion but i want more in a game than just run and shoot.

PS. I have been thinking about your ww1 idea and that is a good idea. I just dont know how you would make it as fun though . What would you do than just sit in the bunker?

oh and PS what is secondlife?
[edited by - voodoo665 on June 7, 2004 3:01:22 PM]

[edited by - voodoo665 on June 7, 2004 3:02:13 PM]
quote:
Ok sir, first of all get me straight i was not saying ww2 online is a bad game. It just doesnt appeal to me. My game is allot different. I am introducing zones. They have no zones, thus being why they have to compromise and have worse graphics.

Do you really think they wouldn''t use some kind of partial loading mechanism? Do you really think they always draw the -entire- landscape? No, ofcourse they use partial loading! Ofcourse they only draw what is needed.

quote:
I am stopping that by creating zones so its lagfree and run on seperate servers so they can handle it.

Just as almost any MMO game works.

quote:
Whole europe is run as one in ww2, not as seperate zones . I introduce ranking,skills, divisions, and much more. That is why my game is different. It is totally centered on teamplay and being realistic.

The gameplay should stimulate the forming of squads - you should not force it by punishing players who are walking alone: you must design the game in such a way that there is a good reason to join a team.

quote:
And i have very little experience making games yes you are right, that doesnt make me any less of a person though. I have made a game in 3dgame studio. No it did not turn out well. That was 3 years ago.

Before you think of a MMORPG game, try to find out what''s needed to make one.

quote:
And all this is is an idea that i was thinking about. I know it will be VERY hard to program all of this in but i think it will be worth it to have a realistic ww2 game thats devoted to teamplay.

You''ll probably start programming, but you won''t get near 5% of completion if you never programmed one not-too-simple game.

quote:
I am personally sick of all the ww2 games that are all run, shoot, die, respawn, run, shoot, throw a nade, die. I would rather be in a squad who sets up tactics, stealthly walkes around, while one person atop a hill gives covering fire, they infiltrate, throw nades, back off, rush to the sides, fan out , destroy the enemy th reat, take position, and hold the perimiter. Just my opinion but i want more in a game than just run and shoot.

Agreed. Try to make an Advance Wars (GBA) like game, and you''ll find out that making such a game is not easy on its own - and an MMORPG even way more difficult - almost impossible for one person on hos/her own.

quote:
PS. I have been thinking about your ww1 idea and that is a good idea. I just dont know how you would make it as fun though . What would you do than just sit in the bunker?

No, it wouldn''t be fun at all

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement